Allowing everyone to use the seen command.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Batarian, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Batarian

Batarian Member

This would be such a convenience to both players and staff, as we won't have to ask staff to do seens on anybody we want to know whereabouts of and lets them focus on less trivial matters.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Capsi

Capsi Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Even something as seemingly minor and trivial as the seen command can be used with malicious intent,
    I've personally watched players use 'seen' information that i've given them, as a reason to pillage a players build whom they've decided isn't playing here anymore. That's reason enough for myself personally to be apprehensive about seconding this

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. CommanderOtto

CommanderOtto Active Member

hey capsi! perhaps this privilege can be granted to people that have been in the server for a long time, and not just to any ninkenpoop joining the server. For example, give it to players that have voted more than X amount of times AND has spent more than X amount of hours. Only veteran players should be given this, as I doubt anybody would misuse it after spending so much time at applecraft. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Capsi

That seems like a sensible compromise

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Batarian

Batarian Member

Maybe even Legend or Mythical. It makes total sense that not everybody should be able to do it, like I stated before. However, it's very annoying as a town leader when I need to see how long somebody has been gone and I have to ask staff to do a seen on them. Even worse when it's multiple people. Not to mention, staff are not always online/at the computer, so having more people able to do the command is a general convenience and benefit.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cygnus44

Cygnus44 New Member

I've wondered why we couldn't use it, sometimes it's handy for seeing when your friends have been online but I guess, like you guys said, it can be used for checking if someone is still online before robbing their stuff.. Maybe for Warrior rank and above?

7. TacoJesus

TacoJesus New Member

Do i smell another titan perk coming?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Batarian

Batarian Member

Probably. Quite lacking for a $150 rank.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. AnakinWolf777

AnakinWolf777 New Member

I agree that more people should be able to use /seen because while having a limited amount is a good idea because there are those people who do it just to see what times certain people to log in, however to the contrary, as a town leader, I know first hand it would be helpful as to knowing when a town member has been last online. So my idea is not only having staff ranks with the /seen commands, but also the paid ranks.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Batarian

Batarian Member

Exactly, keeping track of town members is pretty inefficient when every person I want to know the whereabouts of, I have to ask a staff member for each one. In turn, this takes time away from the staff member I ask. Or, on the other hand, there might be staff members that are not on/active, so we do not or cannot get an answer. I personally do not like having to ask a staff member about anybody I want to know about. I'm pretty sure once a player has reached a certain point, they should realistically be trustworthy with access to this command. Otherwise, it seems more detrimental than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Addeve

Addeve Active Member Staff Member Admin

When it comes to the seen command some people may use the command to find out how long others have been inactive so they could possibly take their stuff, thinking they stopped playing. This is one reason we never let players use it, specifically in blue at least where griefing is not allowed.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Vikrej

Vikrej New Member

Addeve, can players not just ask staff to /seen the player then grief them after getting the information they need? If in the case someone logs in to see their stuff gone, would staff have kept track of who wanted them /seen'd? I feel that staff can't possibly take note of all the /seen requests in case if someone was griefed. Also, if someone's stuff is claimed (so you can see their name), how are you going to grief? I can understand if someone's stuff is unclaimed, but how do you know what sorry soul you stole from? But I think the practicality of player access to /seen outweighs the one possible naughty use. Only bad thing I can see from having player access to /seen is that helpers will be less useful.

~Vinc

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rushbin

Rushbin The Server Bum Staff Member Moderator

Well so many people who break rules try not to get noticed at all by staff members before breaking a rule, for example, the idea of asking a staff member for an eseen can stop them from trying to grief. I mean if they bring attention to themselves its easier to get caught, right? Also there have been many times when players grief on claims that they are trusted too. With Blue world not allowing griefing at all, some players may trust others willy nilly because their stuff is safe. But that doesn't stop some players from griefing. Also I'm just going to throw out there that there have been MANY times when long term players break rules and grief/xray/hack. Despite having been on the server for months, some still feel like they may be able to get away with it because they've been on the server for so long, but that's not the case. We still catch them, which is why imo, how long you've been on the server for shouldn't really matter in getting access to /eseen.

• Like Like x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
  14. Batarian

Batarian Member

It can stop them from griefing, but it won't. It literally makes no difference if they ask for a seen or do it themselves as Capsi said above. If a player has malicious intent on their mind, I don't really think they care how they get the information. How hard is it to revert griefing and punish a player that did grief? Literally takes a matter of a player reporting the grief, inspecting who did it, enacting the punishment, and doing any necessary rollbacks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Capsi

When they ask, we're made aware, we can investigate and we can stalk.
    If they didn't have to ask, we'd be unaware pending a report. Assuming that player makes a report.

Yes it'd be very handy for town owners and it'd definitely allow them a more efficient means of plot management, however implementing the command whilst being fair and attempting to avoid the above issue would likely be more effort than it's worth with the current standing of ranks.

Perhaps if capital towns make a comeback the seen command might find itself being more applicable with those select owners, however currently all attention is on fixing issues concerning this aquatic update.

16. Rushbin

Rushbin The Server Bum Staff Member Moderator

Its not a matter of how easy it can be to roll something back, its a matter of preventing a crime from happening in the first place, or by catching it as quickly as possible. I've made this analogy many times before and I will continue to do so: while Applecraft is VERY different from IRL, us moderators are still somewhat like the police of the server. IRL, cops would often try to stop a crime from happening, why shouldn't we do the same here? And while I get that the crimes here are just in game, the punishments are just in game as well haha

17. Batarian

Batarian Member

Bumping as still relevant..

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnakinWolf777

AnakinWolf777 New Member

Giving paid ranks the ability to use '/seen' would actually be beneficial to everyone. While it would be considered griefing, as Addeve said, there are many benefits for paid ranks to get the ability of using the '/seen' command.
    Here's an example: maybe a friend has been gone for a long time and you need to know how long they've been gone for some reason. Second, sometimes staff members are offline or AFK, and because of that, players have no way of knowing when anyone was last online. Another being time zones; if you need to meet up with someone, but you don't know the times they log on. This can be annoying. Furthermore, having it for paid ranks would be a motivation to players to get paid ranks. Paid ranks should be allowed to use it because while griefing is possible, most paid ranks feel like it would be pointless to pay for a rank and then get banned. Also, from personal experience, there were times where I had to ask for multiple players to use '/seen' for me and I feel it will eventually get tiresome.
    In conclusion, it would be more helpful than harmful to allow paid ranks to have access to the '/seen' command in these multiple ways.