Chat issues, staff training, & understanding a conversation

Discussion in 'Issues & Reports' started by JinxDeGod, Jun 2, 2018.

1. JinxDeGod

JinxDeGod New Member

This forms post is long overdue. Recently there have been a number of problems with the more recent moderators. I feel that they are undertrained, and do not know how to handle chat. Many of them are misinformed on the difference between a formal civilized conversation and a chat that is causing problems. Today when I joined the server there were a group of players talking about Pride Week and the LGBTQ Community. A different group of players came online and start to throw out hate speech and talk about how Queer persons should be oppressed. I strongly disagree with this and so dis a few other players who were on at the time. Slowly it turned into a heated argument with words like Dyke, Retard and Homo being thrown around. This is all happening while 5 Moderators were online. I chose to @Moderator Rank on discord and tell them that they should pay more attention to chat and not constantly be afk. About 2 out of the 5 mods started to defuse the conversation in a civilized manner while the other 3 chose to yell at random players who have done nothing wrong. After the conversation is lightened a bit chat becomes somewhat normal and players go back to their activities and conversations. The same people who started to attack and bash on Pride Week start again. I chose to state my opinion about how the mods are blatantly ignoring the fact that chat has become quite toxic and that they should pay attention more. This is when multiple players agree with me and Addeve logs on. I ask said admin why these problem players are not being muted after having their first warning, and they tell me that they are waiting to see if a moderator would do anything. Surprise Surprise nothing happens and chat continues. I take this time to ask why is it that good civilized conversations are constantly muted and shut down when it is a select handful of people that cause a fuss or create an argument. Many times when there are calmer moderators online we can have a civilized conversation about occurring events or conversations about meaningful things. The admin tells me "Go ask Apple". Later on, a friend of mine joins the server and proceeds to joke around with me. While talking Bavtato, Relafount and AnarchicMuse proceed to talk about how that this was the last straw and that I am being muted for "Being a dick". What I don't understand is why I was being muted for talking to a friend. I attempt to explain to the mods that this player was a friend of mine that they had also known. They say that they knew who was the player was and to bad. I understand that I was being very aggressive towards these mods beforehand time, but there is no excuse to mute a player for talking and joking with a friend.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Flame_star1

Flame_star1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Okay, I appreciate you taking your time to write out your side of the story. I do agree with you (especially with the newer mods, myself included) when it comes to confusion over how to handle chat. We do need to pay more attention to the chat and to take more action besides just warnings.
    Pertaining to your mute, I believe there was quite a large amount of chaos going on in the moment that you seemed to be adding to it because you sort of had been earlier in the conversation. When stress is high or people are annoyed, they are more likely to mute you. To be on the safe side, /msg your friend if there is some hassle going on in chat.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to express your feelings. Applecraft can always use civil feedback to improve.

3. AnarchicMuse

AnarchicMuse Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hello,

Im going to take some time to address your concerns from the perspective of a relatively new mod, who was also present during the situation that occurred today.

First off, to address the chat situation. In the midst of it happening there was two mods afk, one of them including myself, which is visible on the player list when you hit tab. We have that command so that players are aware that a specific mod is not available at the moment, whether that is for 1 minute or overnight. Furthermore, when situations in chat arise that are sources of arguments, it is better if players do not get involved trying to tell people off as it only escalates the situation more, which happened in this case. As it stand, you happened to be one of those players that escalated the situation. In the middle of the argument you start to attack the moderator team telling us that we were not doing our job. At the time there were discussions on how to handle the situation among the staff online. Yes there are newer moderators and yes we are still getting the hang out things, but the admins are here for us to consult over questions we have and people like myself do ask questions about how to handle things.

In regards to the discussion on current events. If those current events being discussed are political in nature, then we advise against discussing them in general chat. If you really want to have a discussion about those sorts of things, you can take it to another place to discuss them. Topics that are political in nature, whether it is political history or current politics cause tension and conflict in chat. That is why it is a topic that is not allowed in chat.

You are allowed to joke in chat, we are not humourless people. However, the type of joking that was going on with your friend can be viewed as an actual argument and given the status of chat at the time, it really was ill timed. If you want to make comments like that for specifically you two, then /local and private messaging are options that are available. According to rule 10 if a moderator tells you to drop a conversation in chat, then drop it. You were warned to stop escalating the situation by multiple mods. We viewed that you did not and thus you were temporarily muted.

All in all, the Applecraft staff team is here to help you in situations that you do not like such as the ones that occurred today. However, attacking us does not help the situation. There are always areas where we can improve. We recognize that and are continuously aiming to do better.

Thanks, Muse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AztecOakleaf

AztecOakleaf Orbiter Of The Planets

I agree with a lot of what you just said. I’ve noticed some things in chat that I was surprised the staff allowed them to get away with. You gotta remember though that the staff are people too and aren’t always perfect. They miss some things in chat because they are human. It’s called human error... Of course some staff will be AFK sometimes because they have lives just like the rest of us. (Well, most of us anyways) Sure, maybe some of the newer staff can be better trained but you can’t really judge them on their first week or two as a moderator as it is a large role to get used to playing. Especially on a server as populated as this one.
    About the joke part, it all depends on the staff member online at that moment to give the punishment. Every person has a different opinion of what is inappropriate and what isn’t. They all have their own ‘styles’ of moderating if that makes sense.
    Just my two-cents. :)
    ~Astro/Acrillixe

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. JinxDeGod

JinxDeGod New Member

The joke at the time was "Glu you smell"

6. WhiteGlue

WhiteGlue Active Member

The staff is overly sensitive for no reason at all. Stop interfering with what could be a joke. Interfere only when people complain about it. Main reason I quit this server in the first place, staff is awful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Sir Edrick

Sir Edrick Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hey glu, i miss seeing you on and having you as part of the community, you should come on more often!

PS.. Jinx is smelly, not Glu

8. WhiteGlue

WhiteGlue Active Member

9. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

Often I just think people are oversensitive to staff reacting to things they should be. From their point of veiw

10. WhiteGlue

WhiteGlue Active Member

No, the staff are super oversensitive because theyre trying to make the chat kid-friendly or some bullshit like that. People reacting to this is completely normal as them being warned/muted/kicked for shit that doesn't even break the rules is stupid.

Again, same reason I left applecraft.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

Glu, sorry but from your whinging you seem to be the oversensitive one, I'm just trying to put out an opinion which I find true...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. AztecOakleaf

AztecOakleaf Orbiter Of The Planets

Most of what staff does is justified. On a server this size sometimes being strict is the only way to get across to some people. Although if you were really muted for calling someone smelly I would call that abuse of powers.... or that certain staff member was just over sensitive that day. You know, we all have bad days.

• Winner Winner x 1