Deaths need to be shown in the chat (at least for wilderness)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jiro, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Jiro

Jiro New Member

I'm seriously surprised no one is talking about this. Seeing how other players died is a very basic minecraft feature and I feel like I'm missing part of the fun by having it disabled. I don't mind having it like this in blue, since it's not about pvp at all, but it's a must for red and wilderness.

I think I'm not the only one who agrees that there needs to be more pvp and enabling deaths in the chat (at least pvp deaths) would help make pvp a bit more relevant. It would also make it cooler when players duel, so everyone can see who beat who and say the usual "gg" and stuff. And PvE deaths are also interesting.

So my suggestion is to enable PvP deaths in red and all deaths (PvP and PvE) in wilderness.

Also, when I asked an admin why they were disabled in red, they told me it was to avoid spam... which made no sense to me. I mean, isn't it much easier to spam with messages? And I don't think anyone would get themselves killed repeatedly just to spam... I feel like completely disabling a feature like this for such an uncommon troll is kinda overkill. At least for wilderness, which is considered to be the new most vanilla/pvp server.

• Like Like x 3
  2. albasant

albasant Member

I agree, but dont hold your breath on this actually happening, its too minor a feature for apple to bother.

3. Jiro

Jiro New Member

Why not? They did bother enough to remove it, so it can't be that minor. And I feel it's a really big and needed change which likely just takes changing a "false" with a "true", so it should be easy.

4. Cherik66

Cherik66 Member

It's not about the simplicity of the action. It's about prioritizing something that is essentially a nonissue over things that need to be dealt with right now. Death announcements are the lowest form of nonissues right now.

5. Jiro

Jiro New Member

That's completely subjective. It may be a nonissue for you, but for me it's a priority. Without death announcements, it feels like playing in singleplayer (particularly in wilderness server). I can give you lots of examples of why it's so important to have it.

The thing is, will there ever be a time when there are no "things that need to be dealt with right now"? I don't think so. Which means this would never be adressed which makes no sense considering how simple it is to fix and how good it would be for lots of players.

Also, wilderness server was released very recently, so I think it's the perfect time to fix this, because more people are going to give the new server a try.

6. Cherik66

Cherik66 Member

Guess what, sweetheart. Its Apple's server not yours. Her priorities in regards to the server trumps yours. When you put your own hard earned money on the line to start a server, you can dictate how its ran.

As someone who has ran a web server, I can tell you I got plenty of feedback on how to operate it. But in the end, it was my money that started it and made me HHIC (head honcho in charge). I decided what was best for my server.

You demanding they put the death announcements back up is pretty much like me demanding Taco Bell bring back their Verde Salsa packs. So until Apple and her upper crust has made an overall decision about the matter, rest assured your opinion has been noted and the suggestion has passed the initial glance over.

Now go back to digging and dont worry your pretty little head about it anymore.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Jiro

Jiro New Member

I'm sorry if it sounded offensive, it wasn't the purpose. I just mean that none of us knows if they will do it or not, since we aren't part of the staff. I just wanted them to read it and consider it, I'm not in a hurry.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cherik66

Cherik66 Member

Your wants and needs for the server are trivial compared to corrupted chunks and lag spikes. These issues must be contained before any minor cosmetic issues can be addressed. That is on top of getting spawns set and the continuous updates and maintenance issues that never seem to end.

So it isnt a matter of making something /true or /false. It's a matter of delegating ones time to the important issues.

9. Jiro

Jiro New Member

I see. Well, I hope there is one day when everything is fixed and they can do that change.

10. Capsi

Capsi Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I like this idea for the wilderness (specifically only the wilderness). I'll attempt to follow this up/through

• Like Like x 1
  11. applebranch

applebranch Owner Staff Member Owner

@Cherik66 while you're 100% correct that the top priority on the server is always going to be server-wide gameplay, lag, and performance improvements I think you went a little too far on shutting down Jiro - although death messages aren't top of the list we're always open to feedback for improving the server.

@Jiro I'll add death messages to the Wilderness but not Red sorry - the reason we removed them from Red and Blue is that they have the tendency to spam chat (especially if people are dying repeatedly) and 99% of people on those servers don't care how someone died. It's a very different vibe in the Wilderness though so I'll turn that back on.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jiro

Jiro New Member

Thank you for the answer!

13. Cherik66

Cherik66 Member

ACK!!! Thanks for the peg drop. I've moved and Ive spent the last few days trying to get my web server pc up and Ive been all business. Sometimes I forget to switch gears.

Which is why I play Minecraft. All work and no play makes Cherik a one track mind jerk. Being an aspy sucks sometimes.