Griefing Issue

Discussion in 'Issues & Reports' started by Freezetic, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Freezetic

Freezetic New Member

Ok so earlier today i logged on and it turned out i had been griefed. i was griefed by a player called jay, i dont remember his full ign tho, and i understand that griefing is allowed but first of all he griefed because another player who lived with me called Globong tp killed his friend vix and so my whole base and all is now buried under lava and cobble unfixable.

so ik that griefing is allowed but i feel that this is WAY to much. literally my WHOLE base is now under lava and cobblestone and its completely unfixable. there is no way i will ever be able to restore my home or get my chests back that are now under lava and cobblestone.

I think this is a bit unacceptable since i've never done anything wrong or anything and now i have to restart completely. Also there area was claimed by my friend but it turns out he unclaimed it recently

AND FINALLY i've heard from a few people that staff HELPED grief it, this really upsets me

2. Sir Edrick

Sir Edrick Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Current rules allow for griefing and includes allowing staff to grief.

I was called out to the area earlier today, and i agree they went WAY TOO FAR... I do not have the authority to fix it as rules do state it is allowed. But i do feel there is a diff between just regular griefing and being a total and complete jerk that destroys other user's ability to play here. that is what leads to people quitting the server which nobody wants.

As glu and others admitted earlier, yes staff was involved with the grief. I'm not proud of that. as while it is within the current rules, i think it looks very bad for staff to get involved in such things and raises questions on if everything was on the up and up.

I can tell you that a great number of staff have been discussing the issue and are seeing what if anything can be done to repair your stuff (which would require apples or an admins approval, or if the griefing rule needs to be amended to prevent this stuff in the future, or if it is fine as it is.

you'll hear back from us shortly.

3. Renee

Renee Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I personally feel they need restrictions on griefing. Just as they did with tp scam killing

4. Freezetic

Freezetic New Member

Yea, i understand that griefing is allowed and thats is completely fine! but what the staff did and players was WAY to much overboard.

5. Sir Edrick

apple gave us limited permission to step in and we've restored the area a bit and are still in discussion on any rule modifications going forward to prevent similar future issues..

6. Sir Edrick

As a followup, there is a new rule that you can not use lava to grief people in red anymore. some other things are still being considered.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jayscott

Jayscott New Member

The whole point of red world is that its meant to be different. So what if staff grief? Are they mean to have their own set of rules just to play a "different" world? And in terms of going overboard, there was no rule saying NO EXCESSIVE/OVERBOARD GRIEFING so we went to the max with our grief. I think staff should be allowed to grief as it should not affect the fact they will help a player when its needed still.

8. shadowfire109

shadowfire109 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You can get that you were upset by this but IMO if the area was fully unclaimed it should of been your responsibility to keep it protected. However I do get that lava is messy and slow to update which can cause massive amounts of lag.

9. Sir Edrick

shadow. in this case most of the arreas were claimed... but red doesnt have the buffer blue has where u cant make stuff for 100blocks... so they added lava directly outside the claim boundry box, which was only the size of the house, and took it all the way to the sky..

10. Sir Edrick

I'll agree to disagree on staff involvement being proper. when the majority of those involved in the incident were indeed staff, .it drew a number of things into question for the users and observers involved. Staff does have a code of conduct, not just that we have to follow, but that we have to appear to follow. Aka.. even *if* things were above board, they really need to appear that way from the outside too . otherwise users can, will, and in this case did think that staff abused their powers which is a bad thing. Optics do matter.

Going a step further, in my opinion, when new players come to a server, of which many hundreds have since we opened red, they do not know people here. This is one reason why what inky did was so destructive for the server IMO. you have someone being a total jerk to a hundred people and staff refusing to do anything about it because it's technically "with-in the rules". Well first, just because something is "legal" irl or on a.c., doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. second these people are forming their opinions on our community based on the people they interact with, and forming their opinions on staff by our interactions. in this case, inky wasn't the only one who came away with a black eye, opinions of staff and the server were affected too. in essence, by refusing to act, people saw us as complicit or approving of what inky was doing. people quit to never return over that.

bringing this line of thought to the griefing issue, if some of your first impressions and opinions of staff on a server is "the server is run by a bunch of jerks, look what they did to this guy", many people would choose to goto a diff server as they would think that is representative of all staff and view it in a greater context on how it could happen to them too, and if staff here would do that to that guy, what would they do in xyz situation.

so when the majority of people on the server are newish people, i do think that the griefing issue matters even more than if it happened in say a month ago. because back then most people would have known the staff and already had an opinion on staff that could temper what happened, but in this case people are just getting to know staff... that being one of the first experiences with staff, again IMO, was not a beneficial one to the server.

11. Freezetic

Freezetic New Member

Yea, i only recently came to the server a few days ago, and at first i thought the staff were pretty great but this has totally ruined my thought of most

12. shadowfire109

shadowfire109 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's really retarded that red world doesn't have a block buffer and I know they were technically acting within the rules but i do think the major issue is people are probably acting like red is an extension of blue and it's not. So i think there needs more of a separation of the two worlds at in terms of resources. Like I don't know maybe a team staff that are solely blue and solely red as judgement on issue and were the line is can be blurred.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Garrieth

Garrieth New Member

Ya griefing is just plain mean in a survival server...