INFO Information about Redstone and Hoppers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by applebranch, Jan 18, 2017.

1. applebranch

applebranch Owner Staff Member Owner

[​IMG]

Hello Applecraftians!

I think it's definitely time to make an official forums post about the Applecraft server settings, so I thought I'd make this sticky post to clarify how things like redstone, hoppers, and entities have been altered (or haven't been altered) from vanilla behaviour on Applecraft. When you come on Applecraft, it's important to note that we use Paper, not Spigot, which improves lag by slightly altering the behaviour of hoppers.

REDSTONE
    Redstone is 100% unaltered. There are no changes to normal redstone behaviour on the server.

HOPPERS
    Hopper behaviour is completely normal, except for one thing. We have hoppers set to "push-based". You know how hoppers look for items above them, like mob drops? Instead, being push-based means that dropped items look for hoppers, rather than the other way around. Check here for more information.

ENTITIES
    There are a couple of changes to entity behaviour but not entity spawning. Mobs and animals go inactive once you're a fair distance away from them - being inactive means they make less lag on the server. Mob spawns are normal on AC, however, with more than 10,000 chunks loaded during peak periods, sometimes you won't see the normal rate of hostile mob spawning. Also, we have a cap of 80 entities per chunk.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If you do see changes to redstone and hopper behaviour, normally it's caused by lag. When the server is full our tick speed sometimes decreases, which means hoppers and redstone take longer to do their thing.

Hopefully these issues will be fixed when we open the second survival world! :)

Any other questions or comments, post below!​

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Spanky_Swe

Spanky_Swe Active Member

Always good with a clarification.
    The Tickspeed has been noted but to be fair isnt really a big issue. Most redstone contraptions can be tweeked to work just fine with the lag that occur during the periods of high user volumes on the server.

For instance: a repeater for an auto dropper should be set to 1 or 2 then it works properly even with lag. If the items get stuck then? well, there are ways around that aswell that doesnt lag down the server. Be creative and dont just rely on that a thing should work just because someone built it on youtube.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hesitant4lien

Hesitant4lien Active Member

I can spell redstone, that's about my only familiarity with its fanciness

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mariozgr8

Mariozgr8 Active Member

I just have a question, the page that you linked in the message in the current configurations to the plugin or the default configs ???? cause if its the current one's I don't see why players are complaining :confused::confused::confused:

5. shadowfire109

shadowfire109 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

if are also concerned about your hopper chains not working right you can also use a water stream to transfer your items only issue like hopper is unloaded chunks. water streams are also more lag friendly since the entity only knows it moving and not being passed around.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Russell Wagner

Russell Wagner Active Member

I have noticed that there are area's that even water doesn't perform like it should. I created a survival world of my own and found the same things are on the server as on my own computer. Just to let you know that I also found that if your going to build anything Redstone or water base. before you start suround the area that you are going to use one block high. and try the running water both ways or all 4 ways first. It seems if the water will run in all directions. the Redstone will work also. I don't know what causes these areas. but they are in every world that I've tried. or created. Hope this helps you not to build on an area that will give you problems.
    paparustry

7. shadowfire109

shadowfire109 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think that has something to do with claimed areas i noticed water doesn't like to flow out of claimed areas and visa versa.

• Like Like x 2
  8. UltraKingOfCats

UltraKingOfCats New Member

I have a system in my base that isn't working because hopppers aren't putting items into minecarts with chests anymore. Not sure if it is related or not tho.

9. Spanky_Swe

Spanky_Swe Active Member

This is related.

For my autosmelter i had to switch from a chestcart to a hoppercart for it to work again. Sure you cant load as much for each turn but then again it isnt all that of a problem for me since the furnaces wont work faster anyway.

So think outside of the youtube/schematic/image/friends build and experiment with a workaround =)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Russell Wagner

Russell Wagner Active Member

that seems about all we can do. Ill have to check the claim area to. i have a bunch of claims that just keeps growing. I might get the nerve to go delete them all and make one big claim. but dang it feels like its going to be a lot of work. never thought I would just keep getting bigger. kinda thought this would be like most game and I would burn out and go find something new. But every time I turn around in this game its something new. The thing that I like the most is that in most cases it does very similar problems on a single player game as it does here I would say all, but Im sure Ive only scratched the surface of the problems Im going to have in the future I seem to keep getting in over my head with redstone builds but love the thought that goes with them . For that reason alone I have to give my thanks to Apple Great Job, Looking forward to the new world. thank you all and thank you Apple for the fun that i have been having. Sorry got off topic a little but WOW this game is amazing.
    Rusty
    paparustry

11. Ampeg

Ampeg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

RaginEndermite has the same type of setup as that and it is awesome. I am actually gonna change my smelting system to a hoppercart system too.

12. Mucho_Mango123

Mucho_Mango123 Member

Irrelevant-Sorry, this probably shouldn't be here. I do not know how to quote.

I am pretty sure in US that behavior is spelled behavior. Apple spelled it with a u, behaviour. Apple, are you from England? Living in LA, many time zones I see on the server posts and in server chat are different than mine. This brings me to conclude that...

Are the majority of people in Applecraft from Britian? (just wondering)Thanks

13. PlanetMC013

PlanetMC013 Active Member

Apple is from Australia if I remember correctly, and no, i think most of the ac population is spread out over the world.

14. Mucho_Mango123

Mucho_Mango123 Member

15. eMr_Samual_J_M_B

eMr_Samual_J_M_B Member

How big is a chunk

16. Spanky_Swe

Spanky_Swe Active Member

16*16 blocks

17. blankman

blankman Active Member

Press F3+G (Fn as well on Mac) to see chunk borders.

18. snor_ka

snor_ka New Member

why is in my mine the lag from the minecarts so high?

19. MothaCluckaJones

MothaCluckaJones New Member

Not sure if this is totally related, but hopper minecarts normally (like in green world) pull items out of inventories very rapidly. Whether they're on rails or not. So long as they're directly below the inventory they're pulling from. However, in purple world, this only works if the minecart is on a rail. If not, then the hopper cart pulls items out ridiculously slowly. Like twice as slow as hoppers. Have been trying to find work-arounds for the systems I've developed, but this is a major hurdle to get over in the case of what I am doing.

20. ze persone

ze persone Member

That makes quite a bit of sense, entities are ticked at a far lower speed in situations where they are seen as unnessecary such as mobs 30 blocks from the player, and I assume hoppercarts not being on a track for a certain time (mine work fine when recently derailed, however this is ground items) so a fix would likely be to put items originally into a dropper with a 4gt clocked autodropper to drop them out so the hoppercarts can pick up. Edit: knowing what you create, the advice will unlikely help you. Sorry. Try finding some of the exceptions. Common ones are being in water, riding something else ect. Not being apple I have no way of knowing.