Iron Farm - Tips and Mistakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Radical_Stimulus, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Radical_Stimulus

Radical_Stimulus New Member

Hi folks. I wanted to take a few minutes today to talk about something I am personally passionate about...Iron farms! I Have been around and seen lots of Iron farms on the server and they run the gamut from huge to tiny and everywhere in between. Still, I see lots of room for improvement in most and some outright bad ideas in others. This is something of a topic of pride for me and I would be happy to discuss my research in detail for most anybody interested.

Iron farms are one of the most critical farms you can build yourself and really should be done ASAP (IMO) on any new server or single player world. The benefit of free and unlimited Iron, even if only for personal use, is simply too good to pass up.

Lets start with the basics and what is needed to spawn a golem. Golems spawn in and around the center of a village provided that village has at least 10 villagers and 21 houses (read 21 doors with a solid block on one side). This is the basis of every iron farm out there.

A standard Iron Farm. This is 20x20 farm with 18 doors on each side. The doors start on top of the 4th block high. The 2nd platform in the farm starts inside the top-half of the doors. I used slabs instead of full blocks to help with the visuals but I would advise you to build this with full solid sides to prevent glitch spawns inside your doors. A row of glass or half slabs around the top rim is advisable to prevent spawning. The height of the doors is important as too low or too high and the Golems couldnt spawn on one of our two floors.
    [​IMG]

Typically, about every six minutes a village will try and spawn a golem if it is loaded (near a player). To encourage spawning in our farms we like nice, flat, tall(golems are 3 tall) floors in our manmade villages. To influence where the center of our village is and encourage our golems to spawn on our nice flat floor we make a ring out of doors, usually in a square. The center of that square is where golems try and spawn. Just imagine a 16x16 squre around the center of our village as the spawn area. Now most farms out there on Youtube emphasise this 16x16 square asking you to build 16x16 platforms bringing us to...

Mistake #1 Building a platform JUST big enough. A golem attempting to spawn on the edge of a farm (inside a wall for instance) will fail to spawn and cost you iron. A 20x20 farm offers the maximum chances for a spawn to succeed as the entire 16x16 spawnable area is contained within the floor of our larger farm.
    Note The blue square is the Golem spawn area. Note specificaly that it is 100% inside the edges of our 20x20 farm.
    [​IMG]

Another common theme I see on Iron farms is the idea that adding more villagers equals more golems or more doors equals more golems which brings us to...

Mistake #2 Doors and Villagers make spawns faster. Let me clarify this. Imagine there wasn't a hole in your iron farm to drain your villagers down into fiery death. If you had 21 doors and 10 villagers you would only ever see 1 Iron Golem...ever. If you had 20 villagers and 42 doors you would increase your "Capacity for Iron Golems" to 2. In Iron farm terms. If a golem is falling from outer space through a village with 10 villagers in it there is no chance for a golem to spawn. If you had 20 villagers and a golem was falling through it from a farm above it (more on arrays later) then the farm could still spawn 1 golem and would temporarily have 2 golems...at least until they both fell to fiery deaths.

An interesting mechanic of villages and Iron farms is Door Detection. This is the process by which a villager, within 16 blocks of a door, says "ooh a home, lets add this too all the homes in this 64 block radius". Some of you are immediately going "Wait, if they can only see doors 16 blocks away, how do they see all the doors on a 20x20 platform Iron farm"? This brings us to...

Mistake #3 Placing your villagers in the wrong location on your farm. Probably one of the biggest issues do-it-yourselfers run into or those following poor guides is placing villagers in a basket of some kind too farm from the doors they need to see for the farm to work properly. Visualize for me a 20x20 square. Now put a basket on one side(in the middle) of that square. My villagers can see 16 blocks away or about halfway down each side plus the doors in front of them. If i make a square 16x16 and center it on the doors they can see I end up with a village that is literally hanging off outside my iron farm...The center is shifted towards the villagers. To counter this, it is best in most every design to put villagers in either a basket on each side or on the corners. These baskets can be VERY simple. a 1x1 or 1x2 glass cage starting 1 block below the doors works very well. There is NO NEED for a 5x5 water filled container of floating villagers...STAHP! I personally always put them in corner baskets 1 block below door level.

Notice the blue square for golems spawns is shifted over outside our farm...Nowhere for those irony fellows to spawn out there in space because the villagers are on one side and can only see some of the doors. Two see what this looks like when the villagers are on both sides...scroll to mistake #1.
    [​IMG]

Often players feel that one Iron farm just isnt enough...I NEED MORE IRON! The obvious answer is to make more farms. How do i lay them out, how far apart should they be, etc... etc...

Tip #1 Multiply your iron. Why do a thing once when you can do it 16 times for 16 times the work. I'm going to make this simple. There is no magic to cramming more iron farms into an area. You MUST have 64 spaces between any two iron farms. You must be within RANGE of your iron farm (About 4 chunks on this server). With these two bits of info it is possible to fit 4 towers of iron farms, 4 farms high inside a square about 6 chunks across. To make life simple You can build a farm at Y241, 176, 111, and 46 leaving you room to handle the Iron golems below and add storage. Move 65 blocks away and build another such tower.
    [​IMG]
    Which reminds me of...

Mistake #4 Killing your Iron Golem right at your Iron farm. Remember that 1 golem per village thing? Let your golems fall out of your village before killing them to free up room for another golem to spawn. If you you followed me above, the bottom of your lowest village is y46. Dropping the golem beyond Y16-ish should remove it from the village perimeter.

One last...

Tip # 2 Moving villagers. There are as many ideas on how to get those idiots up there as there are farms. Just use dirt, rail, and switches. Its easy. Its fast. Its safe.

Tip #3 If going for the full on 20 villager route (advisable for any farms on the lower levels of a tower), remember that a 20x20 platform can hold 72 doors. Villager breeding laws handed down by the bureau of villager love states villagers will continue to breed up to 1/3 the total doors. If I put villagers on the corners of my farm (3,3,2,2 enough for 10 total to start the farm) and give them food...maybe afk overnight...they will breed up to 24 villagers without me needing to manually move every single one of their sorry butts.

But if you just want to drop 10 dudes in there and let it work(no breeding)...save those resources. You dont need 72 doors...You need 21. Even this can work. 11 doors on oposite sides each, 9 villagers in 1 corner and 1 villager in the other to recognize doors.
    [​IMG]

I hope somebody finds some useful information here. If you have requests for specific images or world downloads please let me know here or Discord.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. DKKitty

DKKitty Meowderator Staff Member Moderator

this is brilliant!
    ill be using this very soon, any chance of some screenshots to help up see the "right" and "wrong" ways to do it, especially in regards to villager placement :D

cheers!

3. Radical_Stimulus

Ill work on that. It was a spur of the moment thing while I was at work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Radical_Stimulus

Updated with images.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tim118

Tim118 New Member

Hey awesome work man it taught me a lot about iron farms, Do you mind if you post the world download it is a lot better than mine! ;)

6. Radical_Stimulus

Yeah Let me clean it up a bit and get rid of some distracting bits.

7. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

I wish creative was big enough to test fixes for multi village farms. Even a 16.... Sighhhh

8. Radical_Stimulus

There are some tricks to this on SOME servers but I was advised when I first started that village stacking was prohibited.

One major issue I have noticed is that Village detection is very very very slow. That alone would make stacking very tricky.

9. DKKitty

DKKitty Meowderator Staff Member Moderator

on singleplayer, unmodded vanilla, village detection can take around 1-2 hours. on a multiplayer server, with lag, gods know how many days you'd have to afk in that chunk to get it to register

10. Radical_Stimulus

Door detection per villager is very quick...RESETTING a stacked Iron farm (detecting all the stacked villages) may take hours. But yes...Its not worth it and resetting it would be a nightmare.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

Actually, as far as I know, detection is slowed down 30x with some exceptions and deregistering is the same.

12. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

So if you were able to make the exceptions, a stacked fa could be viable
    A single 16 village even.

13. Be9ine

Be9ine Member

Fantastic tutorial, thanks so much! I have been referencing this guide the last couple of days to fix an existing iron farm, and it has been extremely helpful.

My one question is, what is a good level to go AFK for a stack of three farms where the bottom farm is at 65?

14. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

Iron golems don't respawn, but if their is too many entities, is, hostile mobs, you might lose villagers, so ideally, afk world height. However, get a second opinion.

15. Be9ine

Be9ine Member

When you say “world height”?...I’ve just built a three tier iron farm that’s yielding results at every level, but incredibly slowly. It’s built out in the water, on the very edge of the world, so not many mobs are close enough to de-spawn the villagers.

UPDATE: I figured out what "world height" is and made an afk spot, went afk for 6 hours, didn't get a single iron ingot xD

UPDATE 2: There was single block stopping the golems from falling to the death floor, hence I wasn't getting any iron ingots. I removed the offending block and went afk at world height again, and got much better results this time :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

Let's be honest, iron farms are unreliable on server.

• Like Like x 1