Rule Chnage: Alts.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by albasant, Jul 7, 2018.

Tags:
?

Enforce the propsed rulings

1. hell na

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. hell ya

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. albasant

albasant Member

Ok so.
    Earlier today i was talking with some people on global, and one of them mentioned he had used 100 alts (alternate accounts) in order to recieve many multiples of an advent item (specifically, the 2.5 aniversary applecraft rewards). This rubbed me the wrong way, and i proceeded to talk at lengh with several other people regarding the current legality of this method.

If your wondering how someones goes about getting this many alts, its often through account sharing (which is banned by mojang, but what isint these days :/) operated by sites that sell temporary use of these accounts for tiny amounts of money (the amount i was told was 7c per account)

this may seem like an open and shut issue, after all, this provides an unfair advantage to a small pocket of players, dosent make applebranch (or more importantly, the server itself) any money, and hurts the economy as it floods the market with an unaturally large number of items in proportion to players. (in this case, fly tokens were the largest concern). the only upside for anyone, is the player who used these alts. not to mention it can cause obsene amounts of lag and ever temporarily shut down the server (this in fact happend as we hit 150 "players")

however, it may suprise you to learn that this method is in fact, legal. this is due to several issues, most if not all of which revolve around enforceability, which i will try to highlight and give possible soloutions to in the remainder of this post.

trying to keep people from using alternate accounts is in fact, quite difficult to both track and prohibit outright (E.G preventing people from logging in multiple times with the same IP), though i believe based on testimonies from plugin designers and server staff that it is indeed possible, the amount of work it would take is disproptionate to the severity of this issue. the first fix i propose in its place is that we ban this entirely, right now its not a rule beacuse its to hard to enforce, but i suspect the threat of a ban (temporary or otherwise) is enough to detur alot of this activity. this however, will not stop everyone. the second way, and likely the most effective, is to just stop having these advent items be "free" there should be some sort of cost, i propose you need to vote at least once in order to be eligible (credit goes to HENRYJEDI for the idea), beacuse votes are IP based, having multiple accounts is useless and isint close to as abusable as it would be otherwise. other potential fixes is that these rewards are only eligible to players with a certain number of votes, based on what the advent is, it could be anywhere from 4 (to prvent you from being able to do it over the course of a day) to a much larger number in the case of longer events. Im sure there are fixes that i havent thought of, feel free to propose them below.

Before i wrap this up, i want to make some things clear. people who have used this method, no, i dont want you banned or punished in any way. you would be granfathered out of the ruling. Also, i want to thank the people who gave me ideas and informed me on the history of this particular issue. im certain im not the first person to complain about this, but i still want to throw my hat in and make myself clear.

Thats all i have to say for today, feel free to vote (or dont) on the poll below. And comment suggestions to on other potential fixes. also yeah i misspelled some shit, feel free to mock my illitracy

2. TheAncapGent

TheAncapGent Active Member

Wauw, didn't know there were sites like that. I mean, I've voted from both my regular account and my alt, which I got from my cousin who stopped playing MC entirely.

But I'm with you on this one, it's waaay too much to do it with 100 or even 10 accounts. And I actually didn't even log in with my alt on the anniversary - not that I didn't want to in retrospect, but it slipped my mind. Haha. But that would only be to gather up one more of those damn fly tokens, so I'm set and ready for making those damn floating islands at my base without a lot of scaffold.

It does harm the economy - but so does the villager breeders, the vote rewards and the event prizes. It's a double-edged sword.

3. HER0__

HER0__ Moderator Moderator

eh i like the idea of having to vote at least once to receive rewards or maybe having the rewards as part of voting (like the 1st of the month is). That'd stop more rampant abuse of the system

• Like Like x 2
  4. EnderGolem1539

EnderGolem1539 Member

I don't mind alts in small amounts because in some cases people buy 2-3 accounts, so in my mind, that is ok, however I do agree that the whole "using tons of alts" thing can be kind of an issue. While I can't say that I agree with some of the points you made, I did find the idea Henry pitched to be a good idea, however that has potential loopholes as well. I don't think completely banning the use of alts is a good idea, but banning use of excessive amounts of alts seems like a good idea to me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dquawg

dquawg New Member

I totally agree that requiring a vote to receive any sort of gift item is a great idea.

If you have one alt (as I do, paid for and fully owned by me), and you *really* want *one* extra free item, there are ways to vote from a different IP. But that's annoying enough that it prevents the issue of one person using a huge number of alts.

Simple solution to a really crappy way of gaming the system--I love it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

In my honest opinion, screw the economy, it would be a much nicer place if everyone had acess to the things they need to build what they want. That's why I like the idea of a "resource" world with proper central farms.

However.......
    If its obviously cheaty. (What, the glitches are practically features)
    Then don't do it!

7. TheAncapGent

Then why don't you just play on a creative server? Then there's endless resources.
    It makes no sense to play survival, if you want all resources to be available without grinding or trading for them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

You're missing the point, you still have to grind farms
    That removes any point from effort put in to create the farms I use, and may eventually open to others.
    I just find that an economy is kind of ridiculous, especially for those of us that don't have the ability to buy perks.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. TheAncapGent

You do have the ability maybe not from your own pockets, but you can always do irl deals. ;)

10. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

Again, in game I'm not a rich madman... If you have wealth you make more, if you have only 20 db you don't make much, although that's a bit hypocritical, as in the past I've made quite a bit, but clearing an ocean needs a lot of pistons. Either way, its easier for you to say such things if you have that sort of privilege.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. albasant

albasant Member

i havent spent a dime and im exceptionally well off, ive done massive projects as well... your saying ancap is missing the point, what exactly is your point? im not sure i understand your complaint.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ze persone

ze persone Active Member

Their missing the point of playing on a survivial server, even if resources are available for easy and fast resource grinding, there is still the satisfaction from doing something, rather than copypasting or schematica-ing it. I also find it a bit funny how you have such negative reactions to any economy affecting ideas or opinions. Its a bit of a reccuring theme. Yes the economy is messed up. That's all I'm trying to say.

13. username

username New Member

hell na. if this happens im BANNED or something.

14. d0zing

d0zing New Member

I agree that this is a relevant problem but the one IP thing can't work. I play on the server with my siblings a lot, and obviously we all have the same address being in the same house. None of us have alts or whatever, nor do we abuse the system. On that same token, we should not be excluded from receiving our own items respectively.

15. TheAncapGent

An easy workaround with this, if the rules ever should become a reality, is to login on ones account as usual and then instead of using ones PC and/or wifi then use ones phone to vote from.
    That's what I did with my one alt.
    And also, how do you and your siblings all vote? I believe two of the votesites track the IP.

16. JinxDeGod

JinxDeGod New Member

Its super messed up that people use alts to abuse special events like the Birthday reward and the Advent Calander. I wish there was a way to counteract this and stop jerks from ruining the items for everyone else.

• Like Like x 2