Update rules?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CommanderOtto, Sep 13, 2018.

1. CommanderOtto

CommanderOtto Member

hey guys, I am not sure, but it would seem the rules have been changed leaving out some important information. I remember in the past people were not supposed to build within view of another person's base. However, now the rules say that you cannot build within 100 blocks from another person's claim. I would say there is so much friggin space in the server map, can we go back to the rule saying "not to build within view of another person's base?" There is always some dummy that wants to troll and abuse the spirit of the rules and I would be disappointed if someone built something near my base (reason for which I tried to move far away!)

I guess I just want to prevent future issues if it ever happened.

2. MelonMarauda

MelonMarauda Mel Staff Member Admin

The rule has actually always been do not build within 100 blocks but it has never been properly communicated or displayed in the rules. If we ran into troubles with people building too close we always measured up to 100 blocks and enforced it that way. 100 blocks is actually a fair bit and with the server render distance you pretty much cant see anything that far away unless you've already loaded it (sad but true :p). Also if we make it "not to build within view of another persons base" then where do we draw the line? We need black and white rules to make them easier to enforce fairly.

Hope this helps shed light on the why.

3. CommanderOtto

CommanderOtto Member

to be honest, not sure how much is 100 blocks in terms of viewing distance, but it does not sound like much. I remember in the early days it was that way because once someone built "near" my base, but within viewing distance. So I asked one of the admins/mods at the time and they removed it. But thanks for clarifying. Perhaps that number can be increased in the future (like 300 blocks)? Just my two cents. Not that you HAVE to, but I think it would be beneficial. There is so much space, why would anyone want to build near someone else's build unless for trolling or carelessness. Just saying though. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: just measured a space I am trying to reserve. With 100 blocks only I would have to fill the region with beacons encased in a small protected area to "officially" block people from building nearby.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018