Use of the word 'Traps',

Discussion in 'Issues & Reports' started by WolfInDisguise, May 17, 2018.

1. WolfInDisguise

WolfInDisguise New Member

And its connotations...

I think I've seen it used twice now, in the space of a few days, once here on the forum, and once in game. The word 'trap' (not the catch an animal kind) is seriously harmful, and is one of the major reasons people who are trans have an average life expectancy of 33. Their were 4 or 5 mods online when the word was used, and when I asked people not to use it, two people said it again, whilst the mods did nothing. I'm really shook by this so if something could be done that'd be great.

2. DKKitty

DKKitty Felis Modus Staff Member Moderator

Was unaware of any connotations this word has, call me old and out of touch but i was under the impression that "trap" was another word for "hoe" or a general slur.

I'm a big supporter of all LGBTQ rights, ill look into this asap and bring it up in the staff chat.
    I can only apologise for any upset you may have been caused, I can only assume that other mods are under the same impression as me and don't know the gravitas this word allegedly holds.

3. WolfInDisguise

Cheers, it means a lot, and I totally understand if people didn't know, but it was kind of shocking for me.

4. DKKitty

Not a problem, and I can totally empathise with you on this.
    I have had an extremely similar experience, although the word wasn't quite as degrading.

I really believe at this stage, that most people using that word on the server are unaware (as i was) of the alleged true meaning. Certain words are auto muted for exactly this reason, if this bears the same weight as others on the list I would definitely vote for adding this word to that list

5. WolfInDisguise

Oh cool, how can I go about voting for it?

6. DKKitty

Oh no, not a real vote haha, it was a turn of phrase.

Staff discussing this now, it will no doubt be an admin decision in the end but ill try to keep you informed.

Looking at online defiinitions of "trap" they seem to be mostly related to anime

7. WolfInDisguise

If you want I can link some posts which talk about the use of trap as a slur?

8. DKKitty

sure, might help, you never know

9. WolfInDisguise

10. TheAncapGent

TheAncapGent Active Member

There are also trans who use the word, like some black people use the N-word.
    I really don't see why we should call for this kind of censorship, just like I'm against the censorship already in place of the server.
    If people dislike what some players say, they can just mute them or ignore it.

And no, I never used the word myself, other than in this post actually, and yes I understand that it can be offensive to certain individuals. I'm just of the opinion if people are so hurt by words not even directed at them, then I think they should work on that and grow a thicker skin, otherwise they will without a doubt live a horrible life filled with "PTSD" and "trauma".
    That's just my take on it, it's not my server or anything, I just think the whole political correctness is growing to be more and more ridiculous.

However, I can understand that mods and admins mute or jail people for directly attacking people verbally but just in common conversation and joking using words that >might< be offensive to >some< people is too much for me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DKKitty

One of the main issues here is the word itself, if we censored it, no one would be able to talk about trapped chests, ask about trapping players, talk about trap music etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  12. WolfInDisguise

Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to develop a 'thicker skin' when your life expectancy drops to medieval standards, "Transgender people have an average life expectancy of about 30 to 32 years,"(https://www.npr.org/2012/10/01/162100680/no-more-lying-law-bolsters-transgender-argentines), and in an open and diverse forum such as Applecraft, it's nice to be able to escape from these facts without being reminded. The use of the slur 'trap' has contributed to the fact that I will experience violence in my lifetime based on an uncontrollable factor about myself. I may die due to the fact that someone sees me as 'trap'.

13. TheAncapGent

Also a very good perspective and highly relevant.

14. WolfInDisguise

Yah, I had had that thought, and I understand if it can't be censored

15. TheAncapGent

I know there's a high tendency for suicide among transgenders, and that is tragic.
    But I refuse to believe it has even 1% to do with the use of the word trap, and much more to do with gender dysphoria and alienation from family and friends etc.

16. WolfInDisguise

Murder, actually, tends to be what happens because of the term 'trap', like other slurs, it just seems to be a good way for bigots to get riled up enough to actually harm people :/

17. TheAncapGent

Wait what? So because some people use the word trap, then those same people kill trans? That makes no sense at all.
    Murder doesn't happen because the murderer uses a specific word, murder happens because they choose to murder X person - it has nothing to do with their choice of words.

18. MelonMarauda

MelonMarauda Mel Staff Member Admin

What I'm about to say, I'm sorry if it offends.

We need to be adult about this. What I mean is not being offended simply at the use of a word. One needs to take into account the context and whether or not the person on the receiving end of the words were ok with it or not. Simply being a bystander in this situation and being offended at the use of the word trap is something I cannot get behind. If it was used to harass or belittle someone and they were not ok with that, then there would be a problem. Also, from an administrative point of view, we need examples of the use of these words, screenshots or logs, and then something can be done. We also allow what I would consider far worse words on a regular basis, such as cunt, thot and hoe. These words, obviously, are only allowed in a humorous manor and if someone were being targeted and made to feel unsafe due to the use of these words directed at them, then we would do something.

I would like to stress, we are not just a children's server, yes we have many kids playing, but we do not censor everything for them as that is not our only audience. It is play at your own risk.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. WolfInDisguise

Of course, I understand completely, I simply didn't realize that people, especially mods, weren't aware of the connotations. In future I'll probably just mute people that use the word.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Dumericuse

Dumericuse Moderator Moderator

I am well aware of the connotations. But just like any other word it only has power because people allow it to have power. There are a list of words that people use that appear to only have bad connotations if CERTAIN people use them.

Being offended is your right. But a word written on a pixel screen in a game that someone who you've never met face to face and probably lives hundreds of miles away can NOT harm you. If this word was scribbled on a wall and you walked past it would you have the same reaction?

If it is harassment. Tell a mod. They will handle it accordingly. But simply using the word? Lets just say we have more important matters that we deal with that involve keepign the server safe and the play fun. I'm not saying this to discredit your offense. You may be offended, that is your right. But there are many factors that contribute to the life expectancy of certain groups and conflating a word from what is, effectively, an anonymous source..... well anyone would lose years off their life if they worried over these things constantly.

In life we all are offended and deal with things we don't like. We are stronger for moving past them. Life is about adversity and strife and how you deal with it. I was raised with "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will NEVER hurt me." That phrase is only true if you allow it to be true. Your internal vision of yourself and confidence in yourself should never have anything to do with how others see you. The sooner anyone in these situations learns that mantra the better. You will find more strength and growth in this way.

Thank you and understand that my personal views on this matter in no way is reflective on the combined views of everyone on the Applecraft Staff Team.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. BeauRosette

BeauRosette New Member

I've known quite a few trans people in my life already, whom I've had the great pleasure of gaming with, and generally talking about what bothers them and how they feel on a day to day basis.
    Some of them have used the word "Trap" in a non-harmful way, To complete a joke,punchline etc.
    Others found it to be a bit insulting, just how others shouldn't throw and use the word "autistic" out in the open.

Though in very few cases I've found that it actually bothers them to a great extent. Again i can't speak for them, and cannot speak for any other trans people.
    But i personally think, that if it is used without a harmful intent (Bullying and anything linked to it) It might be fine, a slip of the tongue if you will.

HOWEVER, if it honestly bothers you (or anyone else) and you explain this to the people in question And they continue to ignore your personal feelings and statements, then it becomes another problem.
    This topic is very controversial in it's own way, because we don't want you or anyone else to feel saddened, or unsafe. And on the other hand we don't want to silence others with these specific words. It's not a swear word, and hardly used as a means of hurting others.

Every person deals with these sort of things differently, i'm not going to tell you to suck it up or harden up, because that's hardly in my position to do. but i hope this will somehow get resolved, or at least brought up for conversation with someone/anyone so that you don't have to feel bad about it.

I'm sorry if all the text above might seems rude but i tried my best to not make it come over that way!
    I hope you have a wonderful day/night ahead of you in any case.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1