A Minecraft Story - Chapter One

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sunraycafe, Feb 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sunraycafe

sunraycafe New Member

Hey all! Thought I'd try this, see how it goes. This is OC, but if it seems like it's very similar to something else please let me know!! Also please reply and let me know if you enjoyed it, or if you didn't, or if it didn't make sense, or... whatever you feel like responding with. Or not responding with...? Whatever takes your fancy. I cannot attest to how polished this is, normally I never post stories I write anywhere because I overthink them to death and they get buried in the dark recesses of a digital drawer to gather virtual dust for eternity. So, I tried not to do that, ergo there may be some wonkiness... Anyway, enough preamble, caveats, or excuses to delay me from pressing that "Create Thread" button. Here we go!

Enjoy!!

------------------------------------------

I recall little of my life before waking in this place. When I am, on the rarest of occasions, allowed dreams free from a recounting of the horrors that have beset me here, there are fleeting images which are not entirely unpleasant, the fog of a dream which refuses to fully coalesce. I suspect I was a person of some influence, maybe even importance, guiding the course of events around me. In what fashion, or to what end, I cannot say, nor is there any value in guessing, as my current circumstances care not at all.

To say I awoke here is perhaps not an accurate description of what transpired. It would better serve any attempt to understand my arrival to describe it as a gradual awareness. As I stood amidst a copse of trees it occurred to me that I was here. This realization came on slowly at first, as many unexpected realizations do. I did not, and in a more general sense still do not, know where here is, but nonetheless I was here. That slow realization began to take on speed, and a bewilderment overtook me. I gazed about myself, curious as to what situation I'd gotten into, and completely unaware of how I had done so.

I found myself standing in a group of trees positioned just outside the edge of a small birch grove growing up and over a grassy hill. Some way in the distance at the foot of the hill ran a narrow stream, and an expansive grassland stretched from its far bank as far as I could see. Over the horizon beyond the grassland I could just make out the faint trace of a ridge line rising into the wispy clouds above. The sun stood directly overhead, unblinking and unwavering in its trek through the sky. A cool breeze moved along the small valley formed by the stream, gently blowing the grass and leaves as it passed.

I stood for a time taking this all in, and trying to make some sense of being here. Much to my consternation I found that not only could I make no sense of this, but I also could determine nothing of where I ought to have been instead. The idea that this was not where I had been or should be certainly stood strong in my mind, but I was just as certainly without any idea of alternatives. I soon decided that, lacking any clear answers regarding my situation, I should explore my surroundings. Perhaps casting a wider net would yield clues as yet undiscovered. I decided to head uphill and into the trees, thinking this could give me a better vantage point from which to survey a wider area.

As I crested the hill, I found that it stretched out far to my left and right, sloping gently down toward the stream which drew a winding line at its foot. Over the top of the hill the thin birch grove sprawled in all directions, interspersed by the occasional oak, and carpeted between by an assortment of wild flowers. An interwoven net of shadow shifted about the grassy floor as branches overhead swayed in the breeze.

Perhaps intrigued by my surroundings, or perhaps filled with a sense of adventure, my previous consternation left me, and I set about my task of exploration and discovery with a near giddy disposition, as if this were all a game, a scavenger hunt set for my enjoyment. I know not how long I explored among the trees along the hilltop, engrossed in my every new discovery as if I had never seen a flower or a patch of grass before. After some time, I came across a log just on the edge of the tree line, and I sat upon it, looking out over the grassy plains below. From my seated position atop the hill I could just make out where the plains reached the base of the mountains in the distance.

The sun had begun its descent toward the distant ridge line, giving me some sense of direction in this place. If my memory were to be trusted, that meant the stream, plains, and mountains were to the west, while my own hill and its accompanying stream stretched out to the north and the south. Anything to the east was obscured by the trees, and as far as I had wandered in that direction the hill had not tapered off. I took passing note of these things, but did not allow them any occupancy in the forefront of my mind, choosing instead to gaze off into the valley while my senses were lulled by the gentle breeze, and the sounds of the stream below.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sunraycafe

sunraycafe New Member

Oooooh dang, the sun's going down! We all know what that means...

3. Liounax

Liounax Professional Squinter Staff Member Moderator

: o nice