Dear Blue...

Discussion in 'Issues & Reports' started by Durzek, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Durzek

Durzek New Member

Hello, Applecraft. Once more, the over-opinionated (and very sick, please excuse me, I normally review my posts much more thoroughly) drow has something to say.

Dear Blue:
    Get over yourselves.

Before you get all "hashtag Triggered," let me explain what I'm talking about, why it's a problem, and what YOU* need to do to fix this.

I, among others, am sick and tired of this "Fuck Red" mentality. Of "Red is Gay" or "Blue, Wilderness, and... That OTHER server" or "Red will be deleted" or any of the other trash that Blue worlders feel the need to come over and spout.

I really do not care if it's "For the MEME bro." Memes have consequences. The nonsense that spews out of your inconsiderate mouth can effect anyone and everyone, all the way up to the owner.

AC is becoming a very popular server. Even watching the new players join over the course of a day, there are way more new players per day than a few months ago. As new players come in, these insults begin to get distorted and taken very, very seriously.

What once might have been "a joke" has gone Too Far.
    Newbies do not understand your "issues". What new players see instead is an owner who prefers anything but Red and couldn't remember the name of it in a stream (joke or not, not cool). They see and feel the neglect as things from Red get replaced by things from Blue. Red opinions are ignored with the response of "You'll get over it" as the 'feature' is shoved down everyone's throat, 'for the better'. I have witnessed many players - donators as well - leave the server after their begging and pleading leads to nothing or another 'get over it, that's how it's going to be.'

If you cannot be tasked with keeping the peace between your worlds, if it is so hard for you to not bash on more than half your community (as many do play both), then SPLIT IT UP. No more Applecraft Red/Blue/Wilderness. Make it Applecraft Blue, Red Delicious, and Rotten Apple. No /Red command, you CANNOT enter one without disconnecting and going to a different address. I don't care what you call it, AS LONG as you're not calling it stupid names and trash-talking YOURSELF.

MY money from Red pays to run YOUR server too - and I dare say, Red players have been dominating the Shop for a few months now for being top donators. And look! Nice shiny new machine you got there, how's the lag been? Hopefully good, put that money to work. Our money. The money both Red AND Blue donates benefits BOTH. There's no special blue cauldron with "Blue Funds" written on it. Either learn to share or get out of our sandbox, to your own server, totally independent, so you don't have to tolerate us "Red Scum."

So now here's the "teal deer" of the Why It's A Problem portion:
    We've alienated the newbies, who feel this world is temporary and may not even stay for fear of deletion.
    We've driven off some donators and players who help support the server (even as a non-donator, every /vote benefits the server. More people = better)
    We allow HATE SPEECH across our OWN worlds, about ourselves.
    We've established that support for the server - machines, hosting, etc - comes from both sides.

You've created unrest within your communities. Here's the 'what YOU* need to do to fix it' part:
    YOU*. Notice the fancy little asterisk? That means US. You, me, them, him, her, all of us. WE are this server, regardless of world colour.
    If you don't allow racist pieces of shit to spew on the server, why are you allowing server-ist pieces of shit to hate on us across worlds?
    If you don't allow hate speech, why are you allowing internal hate speech?

First step. Stop.
    Analyze what you're going to say. If someone came to Blue and said that, would you get pissed? Yes? Then don't say it.
    Are you saying it just to piss people off? Then don't say it.

There is no reason at all for cross-server hate.
    BUH BUH BUH BUT BLUE HAS KEEPIN--- nope.
    BUH BUH BUH RED GETS --- No. I don't want to hear it.

A key feature of just about any popular server... is to offer MULTIPLE WORLDS! Different play styles! Skyblock, factions, pure vanilla, KeepInv, modded.
    Do you know why?
    To appeal to different people.

If KeepInv is your thing, buddy, rock it! Play it! Enjoy it! If you like SOME pvp but would like to protect your valuables, we got you covered! Tired of never seeing a REAL vanilla server? We got you there too! If you don't like the play style of one world, the beauty of AC is being able to choose something that does!
    Currently however, we also have a large side-helping of Hate to go with your play experience. Please, let's figure out a way to change this.
    Many, many, many players have messaged me to express their concerns about this. Have shared their experiences. Have told me that they've been driven off Blue simply for being from Red. Being SHAMED for donating and a rank activating on Blue for the first time. This is disgusting. This is unacceptable. You should be ashamed of yourselves, for insulting your own friends and even yourself.

In addition, there are a handful of repeat offenders that I have screenshots of and would be more than happy to name names of repeat offenders.

(side note: is it really worth keeping around one disruptive person who constantly bends/breaks/pushes rules and staff and drives people away? I understand "being chill" and all, but when someone else is being so un-chill that it drives all the really chill people away, AC is no longer chill. It's filled with toxicity, and no one wants to babysit. That leaves the Helpers to say something when the mods refuse to moderate chat, then a mod says something to the helper to not say anything. Hmmm.)

In review:
    The problem: Blue/Red hate needs to stop immediately.
    Why it's a problem: Newbies see the hate, the server is in a state of unrest, people feel there is no care about any server but Blue, and Red once again fears being deleted for neglect.
    How to solve it: Start handing out punishment for the people who are literally breaking the rules. Stop "joking" about it, because the "joke" is lost and it's taken very seriously. Stop spreading hate.

It's 2019. Can we start this off right, please?

• Potato Potato x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Nadz

Nadz New Member

Cheers Durz, I've not witnessed much in the way of server hate, but then I do tend not to watch chat if I'm busy actually playing. I agree, as someone who is a new player, seeing chat for the first time almost put me off starting here. There's a lot needs fixing. But I do enjoy playing here (red here) and have met some really decent folk, so I think I'll stick around. Hopefully I'll be able to be witness to a server that changes things slightly for the better. :)

3. Durzek

Durzek New Member

Would you at all mind being a little more specific? Some examples of what about chat almost put you off. It helps to be able to see what needs changing!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nadz

Nadz New Member

Specifically the number of times a player is allowed to keep saying hateful things before anything is done about it. The moment you see things from someone that is blatantly just there to insult others for a reaction, in my opinion it should at the very least be a perma-mute. You only need to see something like that once to know what kind of a person is sitting at that keyboard, so why bother offering them a chance? Some people don't deserve to be part of a community, because they offer nothing positive to the whole, so why bother keeping them around?

5. albasant

albasant Member

Your lacking a little perspective, blue gets alot more funding attention then red beacuse it had alot more lag-related problems, its not an arbitrary bias. And ill also say that from where im standing, each new world added takes a little lf blues playerbase, and thats scary to people (myself included) who have been playing for years against you on red who have been for less then 6 months. I also dont appreciate the language your using here... It paints blue players in a bad light when the only ones who even care are a small pocket of the oldest players. And yeah, red is the "other server", it will be untuil blue is gone, thats simply by virtue of it being both smaller and younger. I personally am not innocent of the things you said, i disaproved of red existing from the start, but it has grown the server and surpassed my expectations as far as maintaining its playerbase even after blue got up to 1.13. Not only has it done this, but it often even surpasses/is on par blue in player count at the smaller hours. Beacuse, and only beacuse you think so strongly that this takes players from red, i will not mock red on red anymore.

Additionally, ill shed some more light on this. About a year ago, original red was in the exact same positiion as you are now, i was on your side at that point. You have 1.13 to thank for history not repeating itself and the servers merging.

Conclusion: i wont mock your server as openly. I can relate alot to being ignored by staff if thats any consolation for my past grievances. I also urge you to realize that red is very sucsessfull, it has its own group of mods and admins and a very suprising playerbase, things are not at all meek for your servers continued growth from what it looks like. Cheers from blue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CertifiedRoadman

CertifiedRoadman New Member

this guys triggered lool

• Potato Potato x 1
  7. stagjeff

stagjeff Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Heyo everyone,
    Regarding the trouble of people stepping over the line in chat and the action against them, we have deployed various new ways that should make chat issues easier for players to handle where a mute is not necessary and for us to see who's being a problem and deal with them.

One of the first things put in place was the ability to ignore player in chat and pm's:
    - Using /ignoreplayer <playername> command you can ignore a player in global and pm's, this will render both parties unable to see what each other say and we advise you use of this if a player is "throwing shade" at you and causing harm or distress.

The second addition was a new muting system:
    - We have moved on to use the tempwarn system, this system will handle the mute times and stack chat offences over a 7 day period.
    - Now if we see a player step over the line in chat or disobey chat rules they will receive a tempwarn, when they do the console will check for an existing offence in the past week and add an offence to them which will warrant a mute time following these guides, 1st Mute: 5 minutes 2nd-4th Mute: 10 mins 5th-7th Mute: 30 mins 8th-10th Mute: 1 hour 11th + Mute: 24 hours.
    - In the past if a player was stepping over the line frequently the admins would discuss increasing their base mute time, usually increase it to 1 hour, this system was flawed in the fact a player would have little chance to redeem himself. In this new system if a player recognises he has done wrong and respects the chat rules again any lines crossed in the future will restart the tempwarn system and they will be given a standard punishment which will be stacked for a week again, this will help us rule out people who have changed or just committed a simple misdemeanour on their path to redemption from the ones that are a constant pain.

Anyway, hope this all made sense and all is well in the future,
    stag out

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  8. Batarian

Batarian Member

So first you alienate the blue world, even though this spiel is about stopping alienating each other. You state red has DOMINATED the donator shop; that blue has a brand new server because of money donated by red players. If that's the case, and it very well may be, but the thread is about stopping having issues with each other; you're not helping the case by stating that blue's upgrade was paid specifically by red players. Next, in this quote, you tell us to leave this server. After telling us to get along and play together? Seems like conflicting statements here.

As someone who is online at any given time, especially lately on holiday break, I can say this is false. Anyone who's logged in and gotten a rank and said they were from red has been congratulated by whoever has said anything at all. Anyone whose said they are from red hasn't been driven off. What do they expect, a welcome back party every isolated instance they login to blue?

This is pretty bad, and I do agree something needs to be done. One person starting issues leads into more issues, and it usually spirals out of control pretty quickly. Now, usually it's handled relatively quickly, it does sometimes feel like a handful of people have caused issues and just gotten a slap and their hand.

Now this I saved for last. It is, quite frankly, pretty dumb. The community is already divided as it is among 2 worlds plus wilderness. For one, this makes management a lot less tedious. If there's no staff member on one server, and attention is required. A player has to first contact them, which would mean either discord or disconnecting, connecting to the server with a staff member on it, getting the staff member to disconnect, and then connecting to the server that needs attention. Furthermore, 3 whole separate IPs and servers is the very meaning of alienating each other; which this thread is about.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Nadz

Nadz New Member

/ignoreplayer is all well and good, but that doesn't change the fact that the toxic person is still here. I utilise that command at the first instance of seeing some typical incel-type chat behaviour, but new players still have to see it (until they get the good sense to use /ignoreplayer) and usually that type of person will try to find ways of circumventing the rules and systems in place to stop their behaviour from causing distress to others.
    My particular point is not a red vs blue issue, it's server-wide, I just thought I'd add here as I was asked previously about what gave me second thoughts about staying.
    Also, a point that was made earlier in this thread: memes are only funny if everyone is in on the joke, which is never guaranteed.

10. albasant

albasant Member

I havent found chat toxic at all since the new mute system, bu then again im mostly on blue and red is the more toxic server... Blue certainly is in a good place chat wise

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nadz

Nadz New Member

I think because of the PvP and no keepinv, Red is more attractive to those who like to bother people in general, so increased chat toxicity makes sense in that regard.

12. Cherik66

Cherik66 Member

I like all the servers. Right now my base is set in blue. I'm working on setting my base up in red. Every once in a while I'll take a jog out in wilderness so I can find a suitable base location in wilderness. When I do I'll work on it for a week or so.

Fighting over which world is better is pointless. If you like one kind of world better than the others. Fine. Leave the other worlds alone and play your world.

• Like Like x 1
  13. EpicHyato

EpicHyato New Member

Almost all the time a new player asks about servers, I give them the full list and reasons behind them. Blue is a great server when you're a beginner because you don't lose your hard earned items when you die. Red is great for advanced players who know survival is at the highest priority. Lastly, Wilderness is for seasoned players who want a no-holds barred survival experience.

There are a select few Blue who tend to bash Red, and I agree that it's highly inappropriate, however.. there are Red who do the same for Blue. It's not as one sided as your post seems to expect.

The key differences are:
    • Blue has keep inventory on, whilst Red has it off.
    • Red was founded much later and most have built an empire on Blue.
    • Both worlds have similar characteristics with slight variations.

That being said, there's not much of a difference between the two aside from not being able to transfer items from one side to the next. It's exactly like starting over completely fresh with no tools, armor, currency, and more tedious survival skills. The only thing that carries over is your rank, and I've heard of discussion that ranks should be bound to one server (Blue/Red) and unable to be carried over, which lead to a huge disapproval rating.

I am hoping for the flaming wars to end as well, but there will be those who cannot, or will not agree with other's ideals. It's best to utilize /ignoreplayer and move on with your life. You can't please everyone without pissing at least one person off in the process.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Ton

Ton New Member

Can you fuck off?

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Classymassy

Classymassy New Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Z'alih

Z'alih New Member

If the only solution giving to us about toxic player in chat is to /ignoreplayer then why bother muting them why bother having mod? I have /ignoreplayer a LOT of people PLUS I see name being mention repeatedly by others to stop. Lately (and I don't care if I have to name one) James101.
    sure the new system is up but people don't get muted or ban unless people enough people complain about it on the forum. That shouldn't happen, Mod stop being all nice to asshole and just start muting and punishing people. Others that wanna do trouble don't see any consequences why would they follow the rules ?