Discussion Ended, we get it, but we don't get why

Discussion in 'Issues & Reports' started by KCFly1OH, Jan 26, 2019.

1. KCFly1OH

KCFly1OH New Member

Hey. So this will be a good test run for my first post on this forum. I'm mostly curious about who will respond, if anyone. If moderators are the ones responding, then it seems counter productive to the direction to bring disagreements here. I mean, what would be the point of bringing it here if they already wont discuss it on the server itself. Anyway, we'll see. I have an issue with rule 8. Now it may end up being as simple as: we said it, so you'll deal with it or you'll leave. If so, I'll (quite disappointingly) let it go quicker than the world got sick of the song in Frozen.

The issue I have is that while Rule 8 seems good as a concept, I believe that at times it is abused. In this case, for example, we had a player on red server who really annoyed the community with his style of play: it was mostly griefing and tp-killing, or at least it seemed that way. His name was Oofla, or Oolfa. I never remembered how it was spelled. For the record, I was taken advantage of by this person really early on during my time on the server. I believed then, as I do now, that it was cheating. I don't wish to get into why unless you're curious because it is irrelevant to this issue. What is relevant is that I, despite how I felt about this (extremely pissed), often encouraged new players via /msg to be even more careful with tp requests than staff and helpers were doing. I'd often discuss what happened with people, being an ear if they needed someone to complain to or talking through methods to be more careful in the future. I always dissagreed with staff who said, "just don't accept" as I knew that there were ways to enjoy the multiplayer server we were on. All that was required was wisdom. So I would happily discuss this wisdom with other players.

I would also discourage people to seek revenge or blow up chat with anger. There are lessons that can be learned from the situation, but anger isn't helpful. Herein lies the issue I take against Rule 8, and the Moderators ending such discussion. Oolfa has been banned (for reasons unknown to me or anyone, despite him having taken advantage of most of us.

~I don't agree that silencing discussion on why he was banned is beneficial. For one, it is cathartic for those taken advantage of: justice is often more about the victims and potential victims than it is about the accused.~

The second issue I take with silencing discussion of Oofla, is that if he is banned, then "angry chat" will die out as it becomes memory and people move on. However, there is positive outcomes to this discussion: ~Firstly, discussion griefing as well as how to respond to it will always be helpful.~
    Newbies who may or may not stay on this server can learn a thing or two and having a community who cares enough to train them up against grief, tp-killing, and etc, is much more likely to remain.
    ~Secondly, having shared experience bonds the members of the server and makes everyone feel more at home.~
    Silencing such discussion only makes players feel out of place, like they can't discuss some harmless subject and it is harmless; this bring me to my third point.

Finally, Discussion of Oofla (while shown above to be helpful in a few ways) is harmless. There is no way that such discussion can be harmful. If anyone has broken rules routinely, and have been banned, then it only serves your server to hold them up as an example. Hush, hushing it away doesn't do you any good. As I've pointed out above, anger will die out as time moves on and people move on. All that's left is talking about griefing methods and protecting one's self from them.

As it stands, you only damage your server integrity wasting Rule 8 on something like Oofla, when such a rule is meant to shut down aggressive/offensive conversation. Damaging your server integrity will affect how player feel about it, despite it being ever so subtle. I, for example, felt this was so much an issue of abuse of power that I came here to post how I "Disagree with Staff". As the only person who ever reached out and extended my friendship to such an aggravating person who , I hope you'll consider my argument and amend the behavior of your Moderators.

2. applebranch

applebranch Owner Staff Member Owner

Hey @KCFly1OH,

Oolfa was banned for x-raying on the Wilderness server. I don't understand what happened in chat that led to your post -- were you guys just told to stop discussing Oolfa?

3. Gumboot

Gumboot Rederator Staff Member Moderator

ahh good old rule 8
    while its true oolfa was YEETED for xray, we normally only shut down a conversation when it gets aggravated or out of hand in this particular case the mention of his name seems to start a bit of unrest and unfotunatly people like to voice their anger. we dont mind people saying "hey old mate got banned' but when people start throwing insults and salt thats usualy when we get involved.

4. KCFly1OH

KCFly1OH New Member

Yes. I understand. I am a person who often tried to calm down the general chat concerning him, so I understand what aggressive means. However, the chat at this time wasn't that aggressive. People were just talking about him; in fact it was way more calm now that they knew he was gone and most were just curious about why. I don't care about why, I just think it's a good thing for all of the new people to hear about. It's an excellent opener to discuss wise ways to accept tp (as they do exist). As I responded in the /msg conversation between me and Gumboot, I won't bring this issue up again. I just think it's wise to talk about him and unwise to silence the chat. You can do with advice as you wish.

P.S. I'm not angry (sorry for the sarcasm earlier, I'm not the best at moderating my tongue sometimes and it can come across wrong at times). I love playing on the server. I just wanted you to know my thoughts.

P.P.S. I consider this issue closed if you would like to close it out. :)

5. TheAncapGent

TheAncapGent Active Member

I don't see the wise aspect in mentioning a specific player that have been banned, if it's just to teach newcomers about grief and tp killing?
    It would be enough to just say "some players do this and that, ergo don't tp just anyone, get to know them first etc."

6. Sir Edrick

Sir Edrick Moderator Staff Member Moderator

we don't generally discuss abuse issues in terms of what punishments people got or why as that's personal information so that's why that wouldn't have been shared with you previously.

as for being told to stop a convo, you are right, you shouldn't be told you can't talk about subjects so long as you aren't breaking other rules such as about cursing or harassment etc. on red warning people about safety and possible tp killing or such should be ok. back when red opened we had a rash of such things from a couple players and i and many others warned people constantly not to accept from those people. doing so isnt wrong.

the only time they should have shut down such a convo is if they felt it was causing disruption in chat, at which point they shouldda told u to stop in public chat and take it to pms or /local in which you can discuss what u please so long as it's within the rules.

7. Z'alih

Z'alih New Member

So... Oolfa getting ban again for a different reason. wi;; it be permanent now? seem like he doesn't learn any lesson