POLL Server Rule Revision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gab, Feb 11, 2019.

?

After reading this thread, do you believe that the server chat rules should be updated?

1. Yass

71.4%
  2. Nay

28.6%
  1. Gab

Gab New Member

So I'm not here to argue. I am here to suggest a revision of all server rules. This has to do with chat offenses. Let me first state I know that this is more of an oligarchy than a democratic society. I am not saying these rules should be added at all cost, put as a top priority. I am just saying this because we have already gotten raided on the server by bots and whatnot. Not only that, but many new players who are "unclear" with the rules may violate the rules "unknowingly." Therefore, I suggest harsher chat penalties for players that are not only spamming and being toxic, but also for those harassing other players. A while ago I myself was harassed by a player named 'Classymassy'. This post is not a salt post however. This post to enforce harsher chat rules upon players that deserve it. First of all, consoling people to "just ignore" the other players that are harassing them simply does Not Work. Second of all, just to help out the player in general, could we perhaps change it to where only one command is required to ignore the player from all chats. Third of all, global chat harassing must have harder penalties. Just asking them to stop Does Not Work. Now that we're here I might as well get this over with as well. I believe that new players must be required to sign a book that automatically appears on their screen when they sign in, and automatically is removed once they sign the book. This book would state the server rules and whatnot, therefore not allowing them the excuse of saying, "Oh but I didn't know! I just didn't have the chance to read the rules!" I've seen much of this. Some of it with player that have spent a long ass time on the server, and with the way the wilderness is set up, so many people have assumed and still do that there are no rules on there. However, all this is just my opinion. Please, do feel free to give me all thoughts on this topic. I'm open to all ideas.
    -PD

2. MelonMarauda

MelonMarauda Mel Staff Member Admin

Well, first how is /ignore and /ignoreplayer not working? It stops them from messaging you, stops you from seeing their crap in general chat, what is wrong with asking people to /ignore if you feel harassed. And while it would be nice to have them in one command that's going to be less of a priority here.

And second, the way we handle chat offences is to warn, if they don't stop, mute. So if we warn them and they say they didn't know the rules, that's no excuse but if they also stopped after saying they didn't know then we don't mute them. So if you are referring to cases where people are warned, claim they didn't know the rules, continue being fuckheads and we still don't do anything about it then please make copies of your logs for me and take screenshots. I would love to see what's going on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. R0B1N0

R0B1N0 New Member

Hello!
    'Welcome! Read the /rules' Almost every new player can see this when they join, signing a book is a bit weird. I do agree, the /ignore command is bit weird.. You won't fix problems with it. Staff does tho, i guess use /ignore for annoying people and ask staff if they keep unwarned!

4. MelonMarauda

I don't understand, with /ignore and /ignoreplayer you won't see any messages from the player you ignore. How is that not a solution?

5. EpicHyato

EpicHyato New Member

While I do agree in a sense that /ignore and /ignoreplayer is the staple of preventing harassment, it does not prevent said player to messaging you on Discord or harassing other players. While the /rules are in place, there is a grey line that has yet to be met. Staff does warn players, but I've noticed multiple warnings being given out before a punishment is issued. A lot of players have seen this as a soft warning before a hard warning is issued, and a player should only have to be warned once before a mute is issued. Applebranch had revised the rules and placed a more strict order in effect for people, but I do agree with tightening the reins a bit. Staff is slowly incorporating a more strict line to the rules, and I have seen more improvement the further along we go.

I suppose the only argument I have is that they're given multiple warnings and knowing when the hard warn comes out to then cease their shenanigans. They also tend to argue with staff, calling them out, or using insults when being warned because they know certain staff is patient in their own methods of issuing punishment instead of it being a streamline effect.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of rules that are weakly enforced. This is due to more important issues to be dealt with on hand; picking and choosing your battles per say. All I can suggest is to use the tools utilized at your disposal for now until Applebranch revises her rules once again to become more strict with staff who utilize the full extent of said rules.

While I understand your frustration, because I've been in the receiving hand of harassment before, it's best to trust in our staff and allow them to plan a course of action while you and I continue to use /ignore or /ignoreplayer.

6. TheAncapGent

TheAncapGent Active Member

I won't repeat what's already been said by Melon, I'll just add that this isn't an oligarchy but rather a monarchy where Apple is the Queen and the admins are her advisers as well as her crown vasals.

7. Cherik66

Cherik66 Member

There are several threads that have addressed this. Discord and the forums have a ignore function that work.

8. MelonMarauda

I see so the real issue at hand here is soft mods who warn once, twice, thrice and then maybe still don't mute the perpetrators. I believe slowly we are working towards making it warn once mute second but there would need to be a small change in policy before that would be so easily done. There are also some other things going on such as having over 30 mods and so getting them all on the same damn page is quite difficult with all their differing views. Thankyou for the feedback and I shall discuss it with the others.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nadz

Nadz New Member

The thing that annoys me is when some complete tool starts annoying everyone in chat and then people actually engage them. Just either /ignore or don't reply. Honestly, narks me no end! I have an extensive /ignore list, but I can't properly get away from those offenders because other people who I haven't /ignored keep saying their names, and I can still see that side of the pointless conversations they're having! Argh! I don't want to /ignore everyone, because I enjoy global chat, but Odin as my witness, I'll hit you all with the /ignorehammer if I need to! XD

10. Nadz

Nadz New Member

Alternatively, make me a Mod with a custom title like "Muterator" or "Sgt. Banhammer" and let me go nuts. :p

11. MelonMarauda

That I too find completely infuriating. It is often those that complain about others that don't know how to just leave the useless trolls to scream and shout to themselves. I'm honestly bewildered by how easily people get riled up over something they could just ignore. In some extreme cases they even become worse than the troll.

• Winner Winner x 2