Staff Elections

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Vikrej, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Vikrej

Vikrej New Member

Allo! As active recruiter of the Union for a Democratic Applecraft (Just call it the Union), I wish to give a suggestion for a staff election system in which we, the players select the helpers to keep our server nice and not too crazy.

And since I am suggesting this system I'll break the slacktivism and give an example of how a system would work and explanation for each piece to help you understand my thinking here.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

Staff Elections (Vityr's Suggestion)
    Summary: 1 election per month; 5 candidates; 2 become helper.

Admins and Owner applebranch select 5 candidates for the staff election based on popular demand.
    (It is selected by operators so it's not sketch, and 5 are selected for good reach to all subdivisions among the community)
    The candidates are put into 3 polls [Perhaps on forums, perhaps elsewhere; I am undecided]:
    (There are multiple votes so if one's favored candidate were to 'lose,' they could choose another to beat the one they didn't want to win. This is to avoid a minority win.)
    1. Poll 1 contains all 5 candidates: the least popular candidate does not advance to poll 2.
    2. Poll 2 contains 4 candidates: again, least popular candidate does not advance.
    3. Poll 3 contains 3 candidates: and the 2 most popular candidates become helper.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course, this is simply a suggestion, but it doesn't have to be! With your support: whether player or staff, you can help bring Applecraft to a better future of justice and prosperity.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CD_Marauder

CD_Marauder Pokémon Master Staff Member Moderator

One minor modification: voted in players start out as helper, not mod

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vikrej

Vikrej New Member

Good point; updated to "Staff Elections" instead. We elect will helpers.

4. Addeve

Addeve Active Member Staff Member Admin

Aloha,

"Elections" or voting for staff is actually an idea people have asked us for years why we don't do. The answer is - We don't want staff choices to be based on popularity, and we have our staff vote on promotions because they will be able to tell if a person could handle being staff - which is something that this system still would have a problem with. However, if you could find a way around this, please share!

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Vikrej

Vikrej New Member

Allo Again, I contemplated for an hour on this. :p
    I understand you would avoid popularity as a factor in staff choice. It should be noted that in my suggested 'election' system that Administrators in particular decide the candidates for such a race. Obviously a 'meme choice' like a clearly irresponsible individual would not be permitted to run.

I propose a side-grade solution (No poll election by players for staff-chosen staff)

Players (Master and higher, or Hero and higher) elect someone (That is Master and higher, or Hero and higher, and accepts their election) for helper and over their time as helper, higher staff will evaluate if they would be a suitable choice for further staff progression. I believe these will help close the disconnect that I feel between staff and players.

Thank you for feedback! I hope we can do something with this discussion.

6. Lornon001

Lornon001 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would have to raise many many more issues with electing staff.

1. The server operates much more like a business than a country.
    2. In most places, you never elected the people who are supposed to enforce the rules. "for obvious reasons"
    3. It would undermine the owner of the server. "apple"
    4. Corruption and favoritism are much more rampant if you elect the people who are supposed to enforce the rules.
    5. The staff's job is not to make rules but to enforce them. You wouldn't want your local meth head efforcing the law is the best example I can use as the why this is a bad idea.

Now I would purpose and alternative to you. That would not undermine Apples ownership of the server. As yes a "democratic election undermines the authority of the owner"

1. Elected representatives from each server to propose changes to the server. (2-3)
    2. For changes to be considered at least 50players from the said server must vote for the change. "pole in forums verified they are from said server" The reason for 50 players is to set a very high bar so that not just a few players want a change but many. And this is only for it to be brought up for consideration to Apple and Admins. If it cant break the 50player mark it shouldn't receive consideration for change.
    3. The person elected would be required to put together the proposed changed and figure out how said, change would be enforced and impact the server before presenting the proposal to Apple or Admins.

As far as the disconnect between players and Staff this is often found because people don't agree with the rules "most have never even read them" of the server or have broken the rules of the server and don't like being punished. Now, this is my opinion on the matter as I play red more than any other server and often observe that players only get upset when they come up against the rules and don't think the rules are "fair"

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own and are in no way related to currently being a member of staff. "like helpers matter anyway :)"

• Like Like x 2
  7. smbailey

smbailey New Member

While I agree that the players should not be the ones making the ultimate decision, I do think it would be nice if the player base was involved in the selection process.

Maybe once the candidates have been narrowed down to a short list for each world a forum post can be made for each with the short list for that world and players can vote or voice their opinions on the candidates. Then, while it wouldn't necessarily be the deciding factor on whether or not to add someone to staff, the mods/admins could at least use that information when it comes time to make their decision.

8. Wolfie Gilbert

Wolfie Gilbert New Member

I actually really agree with lornon on a lot here although I feel 50 votes is asking a lot for polls. Maybe it could be lowered or a different plan could be used.

For instance. We know that staff have channels that they use in discord and such to communicate. Having representatives able to bring more to the table, not just changing the server but instead ideas for events. Maybe the ability to run some more staff only events such as the pay to enters ext.

Usually playing on red; I see a large distance from even rule abiding players and staff. Having elected officials with relatively short terms (4-6 months) that could directly try and influence the servers for the best from events to sweeping changes would feel like our voices actually would be heard.

9. Addeve

Addeve Active Member Staff Member Admin

Aloha

See, I like the idea, it's just with how we promote helpers right now this wouldn't really fit in well. Take one of our latest groups: we had helper applications, shortlisted those applications down to a few, then the mods/admins voted on those people. After voting, the people who weren't well voted were eliminated and the admins had final discussion of the people who were voted well "ok are we good with these people". At that point, when that discussion happens, we were only down to a small group of people (12 people between 3 worlds).

If we were to use a voting system from the people, it would have to happen after we discuss those 12 people, which would make the list even shorter if we eliminated someone. So we just don't have much room to work with here is the problem I'm seeing, let me know what you think.

~Addeve

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. smbailey

smbailey New Member

Sure, my idea was just to add a step between the shortlist and the mod/admin vote where players can voice any cares/concerns about the applicants on the list. Players wouldn't be choosing the new helpers, just assisting the mods/admins with more information before they make their votes.

I just know after the last group on red server at least there was a lot of talk on the discord and in global chat about a couple of the applicants (really not trying to direct this post at anyone in particular) . If that stuff had been brought up before the selection it may or may not have made a difference in the vote, but the players would at least know that x had already been considered.

It's not a huge staff team so we can't expect the mods for a server to know everything about every candidate that applies. I don't see how having more information/opinions weighing in could be a bad thing other than extending the length of the application process.

• Like Like x 1