Too many advertisements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by R0BoT3CH, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Am I a genius?

1. Probably...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Definitely!

28.6%
  3. Are you on medication?

71.4%
  1. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

WARNING- This is mainly me ranting, skip to 'the solution' if u don't care about my feelings

The problem
    Applecraft has changed a lot since it's early days, for worse and for better.
    I feel that the sense of community is slowly dying as the server gets bigger and bigger, which is only to be expected... As we all know, the main source of a community feeling is the main chat- that is where we can make friends, answer each other's question or just
    have a jolly old chat.
    Unfortunately, the chat feels more like a battlefield, a stampede of words flying down your screen before you ever get a chance to get a glimpse, a brutal fight for your attention. Having done some high level data analysis, I found that over 50% of it is just people trying to sell/buy stuff!
    The issue is that the shopping district is a discombobulated mess... so people resort to the cries of "who sells this?" and shop owners say "me!" "ME" ME!!" , like a bunch of tiny hatchlings screeching for mama too feed them.
    And all the other scavengers resort too repeatedly asking wether someone wants to buy a stack of dirt, only to be blatantly ignored again and again.

The solution
    -We need Thanos (jk)
    What if there one place where u could conveniently buy anything... whilst also increasing competition between shops and distributing the bling between players?

My suggestion is a board with the names of every shop, put into categories so that everyone can see what is sold where. These would then be ordered by how cheaply they are being sold and (if possible) players could update the board if they are out of stock.
    Additionally you could have an advertisement board in cases of 1 off services or items.
    It would be kinda like ebay/amazon for applecraft!! -THE END

2. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

Wow... will u look at that- 100% of people said I am definitely a genius

3. ShadowDelux

ShadowDelux Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This has been suggested quite recently.

It would be an extreme hassle to create and maintain this as there are hundreds of shops with constantly changing stock.

It just isn’t realistic to do this and have it turn out well and be tidy.

4. JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd New Member

Or we could have a Trade Chat. Basically a separate chat that's not connected with normal chat and you can somehow switch between normal, and trade chat.

5. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

The feature of being able to see wether they are in stock was just a minor detail
    The main thing is too see what people are selling in general, this could be done by the players themselves- dropped into a hopper so that a moderator can update the board every so often

6. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

The issue with that is that no one would go onto the advertisement chat

7. JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd New Member

If Admins enforced all trades must go on trade chat it would work.

8. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

No, my point is that no one- appart from the people selling the stuff, would go on the chat... And therefore it would render the advertisement useless.

9. ShadowDelux

ShadowDelux Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It’s something that no one would want to take on, on a large scale as it would take a lot of work.

Each world has their own trade chat on the server discord where players can advertise what they are selling or buying.

Players are free to do something like this themselves but I just don’t see people using it or it becoming an official channel of advertisement.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 11:22 PM
  10. TheSarchasm

TheSarchasm Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Your idea requires Admins to dedicate time to maintaining a gigantic board (on 3 individual worlds) that would, best case scenario, consist of one sign per shop. You're talking about hundreds of individual signs. They would have to be updated every time someone decided to lower or raise their prices. That's an absolutely absurd amount of maintenance to request from the staff team.

11. MelonMarauda

MelonMarauda Master Teapot

Elementary my dear Watson. It would be automated!

But anyway that would require Apple to write some plugin that monitors all shop signs and displays them in a neat and tidy way in an area for people to view.

Personally I like the idea of a trade chat ingame and outlawing trade conversations in global so that way people like me, who have never traded in their life and don't wish to start any time soon don't get spammed with people's crap. Although, I also believe that it is unrealistic to expect such a thing to work or catch on even if enforced due to the sheer number of conversations about trading that go on.

12. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

I am gonna actually do this to prove this concept at my shop, I think its a lot easier than you think.
    U dont necessarily need to put all the shops that sell that item, just like 5 for each category of items. (E.g. leaves)
    Although I kinda understand that would be preferencial on behalf of applecraft...

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

This idea might be good for people who dont care about buying/selling anything.. but for those trying to sell stuff it would be useless as they would just be talking to other people trying to advertise stuff, and for people wanting to buy stuff no one would hear about it. Everyone would obviously choose to stay on the main chat.

14. MelonMarauda

MelonMarauda Master Teapot

You're telling me that no one would sit in trade chat and watch for deals etc even if they ain't selling? There are some serious traders out there

15. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

There will be people who will do that- but most people won't
    The whole point of advertising is too attract customers, and if all ur customers are on the main chat then u r not gona attract anyone.
    Im not saying having a trade chat is a bad idea, I just dont think its solution to the problem

16. TheSarchasm

Advertising 5 shops that sell something when 20 people sell them would be pretty unfair to the other 15 shops, don't you think? And where are the other 15 shops meant to advertise if you don't want them advertising via chat any more?

You're welcome to make the board in your shop. If you feel this is something that really needs to exist, I invite you to do so. This is the sort of thing that would need to be, in my opinion, a player undertaking.

17. TheSarchasm

Honestly I don't even know how you would do this and have the plugin be functionally any better than just advertising in chat. Maybe a central data base where you can put in your item name and it generates the name of the owner of a shop who sells that item. But it would have to be able to detect not only Shop Chests, but the contents of shop chests. It would also still need to be curated by Admin's whenever there's a month crate/special event, and people would still have to advertise any rares that sell for more than 64db somewhere.

18. Flame_star1

Flame_star1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Do you play red or blue? I made a shop guide in blue like forever ago. It has shop names by what they sell in the book, and I sell it for 1 diamond in my shop. If you're in red, feel free to do the same.

19. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

It would work like this: players writte in a book their shop name and what they sell (which are then chucked into a hopper)- these are then read by the moderators and they add that shop on to the board in the different categories. At first this would take some time, but once they are up they don't need to do anything unless there is a new shop. Maybe they could also randomly shuffle them around every so often as to not have any biases.

Although u r right, people will still need to advertise rare items- My original idea was to have an area where people put these items with their price in a chest (like a community chest) people can come along after and buy those things. This might be difficult but.... There would be chests at different prices (e.g. 64db), within reason- and then people would put their items into the chest with a hopper, and people could buy these items.
    What I don't know is how everyone would get their dia... The idea I put in this post was a temporary advertisement board for rare stuff- but not sure how that could work.
    Either way, getting rid of the main form of advertisement is a good start.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 7:26 AM
  20. R0BoT3CH

R0BoT3CH Member

I did not know about this... I will have a look at it when I next come back onto the server. Maybe a book is the best way to go.
    But Im assuming u couldn't put every shop name in it...