What can I do with only 20 hoppers per chunk?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jiro, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Jiro

Jiro Member

Now that 1.14 was released I wanted to create one of the most efficient Wither Rose farms. I had the idea of using slimes since we can have spawners of those in this server and they multiply, meaning more roses per spawning cycle.

But since no one uses slimes for wither rose farms, I had to make the design myself. So I checked the farm rules: https://applecraft.org/community/index.php?threads/farm-rules-thread.12895/#post-42769 and designed a farm around them. Those rules say 400 hoppers per each 3x3 chunks. I was only going to use around 100 of them so it should have been fine.

I did the usual 9x9 floor around the spawner where slimes would spawn and then a wither would kill them. I can't use water since slimes can't spawn on it so I had to use path grass blocks with hoppers below so they pick the items up. 9x9 means 81 hoppers plus a few to connect to my chests.

But guess what? After spending a bunch of time designing the farm, figuring out why the hell slime spawners weren't working in my creative world (turns out you need to be in a slime chunk and below Y= 40, EVEN when using a spawner), finding a slime chunk in my creative world and testing the farm. Then finding a slime chunk inside applecraft (this was a real pain), while also finding someone to buy a slime spawn egg + a spawner, which is a bunch of stacks of db, then placing the spawner, the slime egg, making a small platform to test it and start building the farm... Then I starting placing the 9x9 hopper floor... and I after the 20th hopper I got a message "You can't place more than 20 hoppers per chunk".

What is this? Wasn't it 400 hoppers per 3x3 area? If I had my 100 hoppers in 1 chunk and the other 8 chunks empty of hoppers I would still easily follow this rule, but the limitations have changed.

Is there any reason for this change? I understand why 400+ hoppers may lag the server, but 30+ hoppers is nothing. Not only did this farm idea get ruined, but my future plans of item sorters have been severely limited now too. You can barely do anything with less than 20 hoppers per chunk. It forces you to move items with water streams which imo is very risky because of lag, or players stealing it using teleport items like Ender Bow to get inside...

EDIT: I obviously cannot split the 81 hoppers between 4 chunks because:
    a) 20*4=80, still missing one hopper
    b) Most importantly: the farm needs to be built in a slime chunk. They won't spawn outside of it. And finding a 2x2 slime chunk... well good luck with that.

2. ShadowDelux

ShadowDelux Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There has been a temporary hopper and piston limit implemented to help the worlds deal with lag in their early stages of 1.14.

Hopefully it will reverted once the servers have had time to adjust.

Sorry for any issues this may cause.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. Jiro

Jiro Member

Oh, it makes sense, thank you for the info!

4. Wille

Wille Member

would have been helpful to announce that haha