Applecraft needs a privacy policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadowsych, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJ_

SJ_ Probably Sleeping Staff Member Moderator

He was most likely drunk. Get it cos his name.. Its Im_drunk

2. FabreMyMoose

FabreMyMoose New Member

my response is ok

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Maahtt

Maahtt Bruh Staff Member Moderator

nice

4. applebranch

applebranch Owner Staff Member Owner

Just so everyone is aware, absolutely everything you say on the server (whether in PM, local chat, general chat) and all commands you run are stored in the server's log files, which are only accessible to me. This logging includes every IP address a person has used to connect to the server. Data goes back to like 2016.

So just be careful: Just because you say something in local chat doesn't make it private, it's still accessible to me and, if required, other parties.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Shadowsych

Shadowsych New Member

@applebranch

Hi Apple! Thanks for the response, but wouldn't storing our information even if you have it just for yourself or your third parties still be an issue? This is still other people's data being used on an online service, so I would think data protection laws still apply.

Here's what I said on another thread:

The data privacy law of California - CalOPPA - applies to "personally identifiable information through the internet about individual consumers residing in California".

This personally identifiable information includes IP Addresses since you can use them to approximately geo-locate, perform a DDOS attack, DOX, or even call a SWAT with just a person's IP Address. This is why many companies actually already have a privacy policy stating that they store IP Address information (such as Microsoft). Even the EU's GDPR law states that the "IP Address should be considered personal data as it enters the scope of 'online identifiers'".

The problem is that Applecraft game server doesn't say that they store IP Addresses in a privacy policy.

• Potato Potato x 1
  6. applebranch

applebranch Owner Staff Member Owner

Yes, you're correct that we probably should have a privacy policy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Shadowsych

Shadowsych New Member

@applebranch

Thank you! It took this entire thread and having to discuss with many mods/admins to finally have this problem resolved. Some mods/admins were also unprofessional and rude in this thread, so I hope you look into their behavior (if it violated any of the "respect all players" rule that is).

I hope for all the best :), and I really hope to see a privacy policy for the game server to be added sometime soon.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.