Banned by bigotry.

Discussion in 'Ban Appeals' started by Fernando Alvares, Jun 27, 2020.

?

Should I be discriminated on the accounts of being homosexual?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Fernando Alvares

Fernando Alvares New Member

In-game name: GaeBoe
    Ban date: 27/06/2020
    Ban reason (if known): change of name
    Moderator who banned (if known): Misty_firefly
    Comments/explanation:

Hello

My minecraft character is GaeBoe, which is already nerfed because of people with anti-homosexual agenda who thinks they have to impose upon me their discriminating minds where the word gay makes them feel offended somehow as if people have the right to feel offended by one's race, age, religion or sexuality.

I have not given any grief to this server or any other player, I have not posted anything indecent in the chat and yet I have been banned and demanded to forcefully change my characters name that, by the way is not even spelled the way it should. The fact that I am a boy and gay clearly makes one of your staff feel offended and then I have to be punished by the bigotry of ignorant people like that.

When my friend, who is on discord, contacted the staff who banned me, she replied with that "few would take offence". Who the hell cares if someone feels offended by someone who's name is GAE!!!!! It is no one else's business to begin with. She also mentioned that my character skin is offensive being half-naked. What that has to do with anything, nothing on it is of a bad taste, the character uses a string that celebrates who he is as you could clearly see in any pride around the world. If the character skin makes her feel anything ill towards me please re-educate your staff. Other than that I could just wear an armor. My character barely ever interacted with anyone in this server, the character only stays in a base off sight of any other player.

All those allegations are ridiculous and does not truly justify the discrimination of the staff actions. This is an adult server and there are swearing a ton in the chat along lots of other NSFW conversations that happens every now and then! What century is this?

The world has evolved thankfully but some of your staff needs to be brought out of the dark ages. I will continue to fight this even if I have to request the support of my entire gay community!

Today is the gay pride in London, and on a day like this we still have to be prosecuted by being homosexual in a place where I believed there was freedom to be who I am. There is no shame to be homosexual, there is no shame to be free, there is no shame in wearing a rainbow string. Evolve.

Regards.

2. Mr A

Mr A New Member

Yeah, what kind of attitude is that? Show me what rules he broke in the server rules please?

3. Pixelus

Pixelus Polar Bear Staff Member Moderator Admin

You have been unbanned, sorry for the inconvenience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. misty_firefly

misty_firefly Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hello, first thank you for taking the correct channels to appeal your ban and for using the correct format.

I will be unbanning you. Not because of the giant slander post against me, but because had you originally come to me and explained all that NICELY, I would have instantly unbanned you.

You need to understand that we have to look out for trolls who join the server and finding your character with the name and half naked skin, was a red flag for me (NOT the gay part) as I was worried that the player standing in front of me was going to be just that, a troll.

Had you not been a said troll player, I knew an actual player would appeal (hopefully nicely) and this would have been rectified and the possibility of another troll in our community quashed.

Please know my intentions to ban the name was not because I have any ill feelings towards the gay community. My words may have been interpreted wrong in our private discussion, hence why I wanted it spoken about here, in the hopes if I am taken wrong, people can explain it better then I can. On a personal note, I have gay family members. I walked my cousin down the isle to her new wife. I dont diacuss personal life online but for this, to try to show i was not being a "biggot" i thought i might share some. I know this might not mean alot, but I don't know how else to explain my reasoning.

As for an adult server, I am sorry but this server is for all ages. Yes we allow swearing (not excessively) and MILD adult talk, but anything beyond that is dealt with promptly. We do have minors play on the server.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fernando Alvares

Fernando Alvares New Member

Thanks. In the future, if you are going to ban someone for being a troll, wait for them to do something troll-like or do a better research. Assuming that people are troll for being gay is as offensive as anything else I have added in the appeal above.

• Potato Potato x 2
  6. Lornon001

Lornon001 Grumpy Staff Member Moderator

I am actually going to make an informative post of the difference between countries here. As terms and language, even the English language, means something different in each country.

Your Name in Australia would have been and is a derogatory term used to belittle and harras people who are gay, Link provided below. As the pronunciation is the same for gaybo and GaeBoe it would be easy for someone who is Australian, which misty is, to see this as negative against the gay community.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gaybo#:~:text=(slang, derogatory) A homosexual man.

I will use the term Fag as an example only for comparison. In the United States, this term is used to belittle the gay community and is often involved in an insult. However, if you go to Australia and Great Britain this term is used to refer to cigarettes. Link Below
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag#:~:text=Cigarette, known as a fag,English slur for a homosexual

I hope that you find this informative and understand that terms in different parts of the world mean different things, even in English.
    I will draw your attention to the post below about a player having (JAP) in there name below for reference.

https://applecraft.org/community/threads/ban-appeal.16094/

Edits for my stupid auto correct.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3