Caves and Cliffs update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drakso, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Drakso

Drakso New Member

So, the caves and cliffs update is coming along. Anyone wondering how the server will upgrade and what will be the changes we experience? Since it is overhaul of the caves as well as some features above ground, I was curious :)

2. Meoweon

Meoweon Meowerator Staff Member Moderator

I just hope Mojang takes their time with this one. They don't need to rush it and Caves need alot of attention. I would hate to have another half asses update. Aside from that, i did see the snapshot and it does look very nice.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Spooner684

Spooner684 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I support this thing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tacocatermelon

tacocatermelon Member

I think the econ might change a bit due to different items to sell being introduced, as well as a new ore and a new cave terrain gen. I think that the mining styles will also change, and that will lead to a change in the diamond supply. as for the mountains, I cannot see that much changing in ac, the mountains are not a big part of ac, and I think that all that the mountains part of the update will have is more goat minigames such as death runs. All in all, I think that the update will provide different minigames and mining styles, different blocks to add to the econ, and some more interesting places for some players to build (also more places for ppl with elytra to hit in unloaded chunks.) (keep in mind this is just generally about what the caves and the cliffs part of the update will change, not the features such as the skulk sensor)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. tacocatermelon

tacocatermelon Member

basically, shit is gonna happen

6. Drakso

Drakso New Member

I do agree that the update should be done well and with community input in mind. But how will the new cave generation be introduced in AC? Reset all the caves ( since claims are above ground anyways )? Or maybe just expand world border and there, introduce new cave generation. And for the cliffs, I find it hard to incorporate in to the overworld, but it would be nice if AC finds a solution to incorporate them in some way as well. There is always the world reset option, but I saw that a few admins already mentioned that world reset is out of the question, at least in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Meoweon

Meoweon Meowerator Staff Member Moderator

More then likely the borders will be expanded ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW New Member

I am curious on how caves will effect diamond mining

9. ^ThePersonAboveIsAwesome^

^ThePersonAboveIsAwesome^ New Member

Yay, if they actually do expand the border, I'll finally be able to obtain all the forbidden diamonds I've been saving up! :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. MonkeyKong7117

MonkeyKong7117 New Member

The server is normallly not changing with a lot of effects, somethimes theres comming a new server as test. (/beta, /green) There aren't that bad things mostly. Its mostly it gets a little bit more laggy because more chunks (border mostly gets expanded) and somethimes some plugins haven't upgraded when ac upgrades too the newer version. (Reminder: All npc's disapeared for like 4 days) The servers economie will change a bit but mostly only on the new items and the old items his prices mostly stay the same. :)

And about that world reset: its out of questioning because: A lot of people will lose stuff and builds, spawners need to be replaced, Enderchests need to be safed, spawn needs to be build. ect. ect. its just too much work.

11. tacocatermelon

tacocatermelon Member

btw tnt works on dias outside the border, so u cn put tnt next to the border, light it, an the dias will drop, then u cn e-pearl to the other side to pick em up

12. TapeLegends

TapeLegends New Member

expanding the border would be really weird since you have to go out really far to find the new biomes and caves, resetting caves won't work either since some people (me included) build part of their bases underground or in caves. I kinda hope they just give us a new world in 1.17, sure some people will stay in 1.16 (like when purple was created) but it means the people that switch will get to start over.

13. ^ThePersonAboveIsAwesome^

They've expanded the border before, they will likely do it again.

For instance, they expanded the world border for the Buzzy Bees update.

14. Drakso

Drakso New Member

The option to go on another server like green can still be an option. But I think expanding the border is the least disruptive thing they can actually do. I was playing on a different server a while ago and they reset very frequently. It was so annoying. Couldn't build anything cause it would get deleted anyways. Also @Meoweon mentioned that it is most probably going to be expanding borders. I opened up this discussion so I know if I have to travel to the world border xD

15. TapeLegends

TapeLegends New Member

sure it worked for the bees update, but that was because the update didn't introduce any major natural generated structures or biomes, but the cave and cliffs update has huge underground caves and will likely change the high and low block limits. if the AC ppl do decide to expand the borders, I dunno if some of the stuff would generate properly next to our original world (water level or bedrock might change height)

• Like Like x 1
  16. ^ThePersonAboveIsAwesome^

If I am correct, Bedrock has remained the same in java edition since it began having a "noise" pattern given to it. I do understand your concern with underground generation changing though.

17. llamap00p

llamap00p New Member

we did a brand new world not too long ago if I remember correctly. I think it was when we had just red/blue world and then we were moving to purple. i think it was because we moved to new hardware or something like that. I remember having a special shulker and a few weeks prep time to bring things from one world to the other.

Not that I want to build a new base, but it might be fun to rebuild again. Although I would want things i paid for, i.e. unbreakable tools, spawners, mob eggs, claim blocks. etc. It is a huge pain, but it could generate a lot of activity on a new world. Open up for a new spawn creation competition. There's tons of possibilities that could make it worth it in the end.

18. Wille

Wille Member

I hope they dont expand the world border on red. most of the current world's chunks have yet to even be loaded passed 40k so theres no need.

19. Drakso

Drakso New Member

They expand so you have the chance of exploring the new features. Otherwise they would have to wipe the underground of the world, which is tricky since there may be underground bases and such. Also the cliffs biomes would not be possible to load and some items are only found there. So expanding the border looks like the least painful option.

• Potato Potato x 2
  20. Wille

Wille Member

per my last reply,

on red most chunks after the 40k range have yet to be loaded. if people travel into an unloaded chunk after the update, the new chunks will contain the new features. this has been true with the last nether update as well (with portal ruins and such).

so the least painful option would be to not do anything to the overworld.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1