Diamond_Hound's Guide to mining diamonds.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mathew762eml, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Mathew762eml

Mathew762eml Member

There's a few things I must mention first, this is not a foolproof way to mine but it will be a very good way.

First things first, the basics.

1. Don't cheat. Don't take advantage things to see diamonds you shouldn't be seeing.
      a. Using xray texture packs.
      b. Mining diamonds you see due to chunks loading slowly.
      c. Using techniques with pistons to push you into position into seeing things you shouldn't.
      d. Seeing through lava
    2. Record everything you can. I've found OBS allows you to record the framerate and how much storage you want to record per hour. You can quite easily get it to be 500MB/hour at a decent quality.
    3. Always show the texture pack screen before you start mining.

At the end of the day, you should be fine to mine and not be accused. It's just better for everyone to just always record. Especially true if you're adamant you didn't xray on a first ban and you risk a perm ban for a second offense.

Now for the actual mining tips and tricks. This guide is SUBJECTIVE as there's no true best way to mine. Some people SWEAR that diamonds spawn more near lava, others swear the best biome to mine is a MESA. If you think you know better, definitely comment here as it might help others.

For an exp farm to fix mending items I suggest you go to /pw Addeve.
    For a shop to buy all your enchanted tools and armour, with books. Go to /pw ReginaRox
    Fortune 3 gives an average of 2.2 diamonds/ore.

Where to mine diamonds?
    Diamonds are found between y5 and y16. Most people prefer to mine at y11, because lava commonly has a surface at y10 (meaning you won't run IN to lava as you're usually 1 block higher than it).

I prefer to mine at y11/y12.
    You can find he coordinates you're at by pressing F3

Things you'll need -
    • Food (or /feed)
    • Light of some sort.
    • At least 1 water bucket, maybe 2. Or a Legendary water bucket (unlimited uses)
    • Pickaxe with Efficiency 5 - /wb or /blocks, or a crafting table if you use fortune (to make blocks)
    • Pickaxe with Efficiency 6 - /wb or /blocks, or a crafting table if you use fortune (to make blocks) AND speed rares. Either 2 smores and a speed 3 boots or 1 smore and a flash disguise (speed 4) PUT THE DISGUISE IN YOUR OFFHAND so it doesn't break. Or just a flash disguise (speed 4)
    • A shovel with efficiency 5 (semi-optional)
    • Lava immunity rare/potion/full protection diamond armour (highly recommended)
    • Ender pearl rare/teleporting rare (to jump across long gaps). (optional)
    • Shulkers or /ec (ender chest)
    Enchantments recommended

Don't forget /shop ReginaRox for all your enchanted book and armour needs!!
    • Nightvision/lava immunity
    • Respiration (breath longer under water) (helmet)
    • Feather Falling (reduces fall damage) (boots)
    • Unbreaking
    • Protection
    • Fire protection (reduces lava damage)
    • Aqua affinity (allows you to mine faster while in water) (helmet)
    • Depth Strider (travel faster through water) (boots)

Good pickaxes to use - Efficiency 6 >>> Efficiency 5.
    Void pickaxe (a bit buggy, stops at ores sometimes if your speed is too fast)
    Picky Pickaxe with fortune and mending (destroys all stone/diorite/cobble/ande/granite) (my personal favourite)
    Unbreaking Pickaxe with silk touch
    Efficiency 5 Pickaxe with Fortune 3 and Mending (effectively unbreakable)
    Efficiency 5 Pickaxe with Silk Touch and Mending (requires an exp farm to fix)​

Guide with Efficiency 5 and pokeholes
    Start your mining with strip mines 11 spaces + apart and do this
    • Mine 6 blocks (3 forward)
    • look to your left and mine 1 block at your head height, do that 5 times until your pickaxe won't let you mine any more blocks. See if there's diamonds and get them if there are. This is a POKEHOLE and SHOULD NOT allow you to move forward because you are NOT mining a 2x1 space.
    • look to your right (behind you) and mine 1 block at your head height, do that 5 times
    • look UP and mine 1 block at your head height, do that 5 times
    Continue this until you want to return to the start of your mines.

Guide with Efficiency 5 and no pokeholes
    Keep your mines 6+ spaces apart and do this
    Mine forward until you're bored. Keep your strip mines 6 spaces apart.

Guide with Efficiency 5 and Beacon Mining Teleporting. (efficiency 6 mining)
    This is going to be a difficult concept to type out, but this gives you efficiency 6 mining with an efficiency 5 pickaxe for about 75% of the time spent mining.

A few concepts to understand. If you press enter and then up arrow, it will repeat the last thing you typed. This applies to "Enter up up" which will copy the second to last thing you typed. You can use this to your advantage.

Find a beacon with HASTE 2 and sethome there. Sethome at your mining tunnel.

1. Start at the beacon and wait for the beacon effect to apply. Have a home set here. (top right corner should show when it's in effect, can be disabled in settings if you don't see it).
    2. Type "/home (mining home name)" and press enter.
    3. Mine until the beacon wears off, 13-16 seconds
    4. Type "/sethome (mining home name)"
    5. Type "/home (beacon name)"
    6. Now it's set up and you can do this next version instead

1. Start at beacon and press "Enter up up up" (should give you /home (mining home name)
    2. Mine and at the end press "Enter up up up" (should set home)
    3. Press "enter up up up" (should do /home beacon)
    4. DO NOT CHAT TO PEOPLE

Guide to mining with Efficiency 6

Just mine forward. If you hit lava/gravel/dirt then mine around it. Diamonds don't spawn in dirt so you're less efficient mining through it.
    Keep mining forward until you reach diamonds.

I personally explore caves but you don't have to.

Quik maffs time.
    How rare are diamonds? 1.7% of all blocks mined will be diamond. An explanation is here -

"A maximum efficiency is reached at a spacing of around 6 blocks (that is, 6 solid blocks left in-between the tunnels). At this spacing, efficiency is about 0.017, corresponding to 1.7% of blocks removed being a diamond. At this spacing, the tunnels effectively become independent of each other and so, statistically speaking, the chance of encountering an ore are maximized because there is no chance the ore has been removed by an adjacent tunnel. Above a spacing of 6, efficiency does not increase greatly because ore collection rate is simply a function of the distribution of ores within the level."

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tut...Mining_.28or_Resource_Mining.2FStratifying.29

The above statement in layman's terms is .. KEEP your mining tunnels AT LEAST 6 blocks away from your own or other's tunnels. A diamond vein is on average about 4 ores per. This means you get on average 1 diamond ore every 59 blocks mined (30 spaces ahead) or 1 diamond vein hit every ~240 blocks mined (120 spaces forward) (Every 7.5 chunks moving forward in a 2x1 mining pattern)

Keep in mind that this doesn't take into account mining 1x1 pokeholes that expose more stone per action than a 2x1 forward tunnel.

I hope this helps.

• Potato Potato x 3
  2. Tunny

Tunny Head of UASR Staff Member Admin

To be "efficient" mining a 2x1 Hole isn't, Your mining 2 blocks to effectively uncover 6, whilst if you mined a 1x1 Hole, in contrast, you uncover 4 blocks per 1 mined. it's faster by far

Also when your talking about mining with a beacon using that home method honestly is a waste of time, with it taking the time of the tp cool down the witch in total with a round trip there and back will take up 6 seconds, your seriously just best to rip mine around a beacon - you will definitely be able to mine more blocks per min spent - even with the small amount of time it takes to build up your beacon

Also just saying people will mine how they want to no cap

3. RagingHusko

RagingHusko New Member

i see how ur 1x1 hole revealing 4 blocks theory is but you wont go half as fast while crawling thasn if you were sprinting mining a 2x1 hole and revealing 6 blocks.

4. Mathew762eml

Mathew762eml Member

If you want to come see me use the beacon tp method with speed rares it's MUCH faster than no speed rares mining. Even with the round trip. Beacon mining normally is very efficient too. I think I'll add that to the guide.

Definitely dive mining (ender pearl, water, trapdoor) to achieve a 1x1 mining is the most efficient vanilla non beacon mining. That's why mining forward with poke holes top, left and right is pretty high up there for efficiency.

Nothing beats speed rares and instamine though, Not even normal beacon mining. Especially if you have a smore. But even speed 4 is 80% faster running speed than normal, which = 80% more diamonds at the most. Closer to 65-70% due to obstacles
    Vanilla mining/efficiency 5 mining, a 1x1 hole is the most efficient way to mine. As soon as you add instamine + speed, it's outshined by just running it forward.

Instamine with speed > Beacon no speed > pokeholes/dive mining vanilla > running forward vanilla.

5. thelagginguy

thelagginguy New Member

there is only a /shop ReginaRox on purple for enchants and a /shop RhinoGut on red for enchants who's shop has enchants on blue?

6. fantastic_oreo

fantastic_oreo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That would be Dr_Havit or Glutenshy, my guy

7. RagingHusko

RagingHusko New Member

what if i have efficiency 6 but i dont have speed rares?

8. DocPBush

DocPBush Member

just xray

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wolfie Gilbert

Wolfie Gilbert Member

Don't xray, he is potato

10. Mathew762eml

Mathew762eml Member

Get a speed rare. Flash disguise is cheap. Get speed potion if you cant get a speed rare

11. Mathew762eml

Mathew762eml Member

How about no

12. DocPBush

DocPBush Member

bruh didn't u get banned, for xraying

• Like Like x 1
  13. RagingHusko

RagingHusko New Member

yea but he proved he wasnt with video evidence?

14. RagingHusko

RagingHusko New Member

if we dont have eff 6 is it worthwhile to get an eff 5 netherrite pickaxe then use gillyweed for haste 1 therebye creating budget eff 6?

15. Mathew762eml

Mathew762eml Member

Probably not, I suppose it depends on the price of the gillyweed really. And how long it lasts.

Personally I'd just go efficiency 5 and beacon mine or efficiency 5 and beacon teleport mine. But hey if you make more diamonds mining than the cost of gillyweed then go nuts.

16. AwesomeDragon97

AwesomeDragon97 New Member

There is nothing in the game’s code that indicates this is true. Diamonds do not spawn more frequently in specific biomes or near lava.

17. fifjfjrhds

fifjfjrhds Active Member

didnt he exploit unloaded chunks tho?

• Like Like x 1
  18. GambleBranch

GambleBranch New Member

yep, but that's less severe then xray

19. Sammm

Sammm Active Member

umm not really and it was his 2nd xray offense

20. GambleBranch

GambleBranch New Member

Maybe it's best if we don't discuss this on his mining post on wich he clearly put a lot of work in?

• Like Like x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1