You're Not A Mod - Don't Moderate People

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MeggieeMariee, Jun 26, 2020.

?

Should Players Moderate Other Players?

Poll closed Friday at 11:48 AM.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. IUnnoMaybe

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. TBH IDC - I'm A Unicorn

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. MeggieeMariee

MeggieeMariee New Member

As the title says - this was an interesting point a Mod said to a player.

All of us love AppleCraft (this should be well known) and we all try to play by the rules.
    However when someone is being annoying in chat / continuing to spam - if one of the regular players says to another "stop spamming" - generally for the sake of what others are already thinking - and to make the Mods lives easier.
    Why would a mod say "don't moderate people - leave it to the mods"
    Well if you don't want people to simply point it out - say so. And I'm sure the rest of us will get the hint.
    However I figured this was the best place to put up a question - instead of "fighting" in chat.
    I know I consistently point out when someone is being a moron, but hey if you want it to be "left to the mods to moderate people" then by all means.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mea

Mea New Member

Yes I would also like to add, if staff aren't online, surely it would be ok to moderate chat?

And would it be different if Staff were online moderating

Also would it be different if staff were online but hadn't said anything in chat in response to the spam/flood or whatever it is

If not, all good I just need to know.
    :) thanks <3

3. Lornon001

Lornon001 Grumpy Staff Member Moderator

We do apricate when players remind players they are breaking the chat rules.

That being said sometimes players can be overly aggressive when doing so.

If you see an issue the best thing to do is message a staff member. If a staff member does not happen to be online on the server you are on there should be a staff member on one of the servers. Take a screenshot and msg the staff member who is on another server. The staff member may or may not ask for the evidence of the offense committed to better get an idea of what happened.

We are all human and sometimes get wrapped up in what we are doing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mea

Mea New Member

Thank you for clarifying! So a simple "please chill on caps (etc.) @username" would be fine but not shouting abuse / aggression

Thank you!

People got annoyed at me cause someone was spamming !'s and I asked them to chill when there weren't any mods on

<3 thanks again

5. TheSarchasm

TheSarchasm Ancient Being Unbound from Time and Space Staff Member Moderator

Hey there,

Like Lornon said, most of the issues that arise from players moderating chat come from the number of people doing it or the manner in which it's done. Staff have a set of guidelines in place to moderate chat offenses. Players aren't necessarily aware of those guidelines. As such it's pretty common for people to misinterpret the rules and get over zealous about policing others. IE: One players yells "I LIKE TURTLES" and 6 other players respond "Omg stop the Caps!". Now chat is filled with one line of caps and 6 people dog piling on to someone about it, even though one enthusiastic outburst about turtles isn't the kind of thing that requires moderation to begin with. In cases that DO require moderation- Maybe someone decides to yell "I LIKE TURTLES AND SCREAMING ON MINECRAFT SERVERS BOW BEFORE ME YOU PUNY MORTALS AND WORSHIP MY SPINY SHELL" - even after 6 players have dog piled on, a staff member still has to issue an actual warning, leaving the dude who loves turtles potentially feeling like he's being ganged up on, which can in turn lead to him becoming defensive or hostile.

All that being said, if staff aren't around or aren't actively engaging with chat, I think it's fine to politely let someone know if they've broken a minor rule. If it's anything more severe than non-offensive spam or abuse of the capslock key, let a staff member know directly so it can be dealt with asap.

Thanks,
    Sarchasm

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mea

Mea New Member

Thank you! :)